What do you have at the top of your mind and heart when you are engaged in an evangelistic conversation?

conversationalevangelism
simonedwards

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi Simon,

What do you have at the top of your mind and heart when you are engaged in an evangelistic conversation?

gratefully,
Carson

Ask Simon Edwards (October 2-6, 2017)
(Simon Edwards) #2

Hi Carson

Thanks for asking ! I’m generally throwing up “arrow prayers” to God along the lines of “please be in this conversation Lord, and help us to get to the real heart of the matter of where this person is at with you”.

It’s very easy, in the contexts that we speak in, to have lots and lots of fascinating, back and forth, philosophical and theological discussions with people, but what gets me really excited is when it moves beyond the theoretical to the personal. In other words, when the questions become more heartfelt and more real. There’s a vulnerability there because the person is giving you a glimpse into their soul, their honest doubts and struggles, as well as hopes. Sometimes people surprise themselves that they are being so honest. Sometimes they tear up. That’s what I’m praying for. Well, not necessarily for tears! but for that sort of real, unguarded conversation, when we are dealing with the questions that really matter for them. When it happens I know that the Holy Spirit is at work because its so unusual in everyday life for people to open up like that, particularly with strangers. It’s such a privilege, helping people through their heartfelt concerns and questions, helping them to see that this is Good News for them, and that its true. It’s really true…He (Jesus) is really true!

(Kay Kalra) #3