What do you recommend for a high school apologetics curriculum?

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #1

Hi everyone,
I’ve been involved with missions work in Nicaragua for 29 years. I’m presently working at the CICRIN (Centro Infantil Cristiano Nicaragüa - Nicaraguan Christian Children’s Center) Children’s Home at which is also a school that is ultimately designed to extend from pre-school to high school graduation. One of my tasks is to develop an apologetic curriculum for each grade level such that, by the time a student graduates from high school, they are well versed in presenting the gospel no matter where their future leads them.

I’m in the process of collecting input from a number of sources the goal of which is to have a superior program in place in the not too distant future. I welcome any input you might have.

Blessings,

-Bud

What do you recommend for a middle school apologetics curriculum?
(SeanO) #2

Sounds like a question for @CarsonWeitnauer :slight_smile: May the Lord grant you wisdom as you help prepare these kids to honor Christ!

(Jimmy Sellers) #3

This is a wonderful goal and I pray that God would bless your efforts. I have a question, what are the main issue that challenge the youth in Nicaragua? As an example in my State SC the public schools are very matter of fact teaching evolution as settled science. I only use this as an example but I am sure that there are comparable issues that your ministry faces. Thank you.

(R.Tim Nolin) #4

Bud, I would recommend the materials of the Ambassadors Basic Curriculum for Apologetics produced by Greg Koukl from Stand To Reason, this is classical apologetics. I would also go to Summit Ministries who have a great course for Worldview and Apologetics targeting the High School population. You might also try J. Warner Wallace who has a lot experience as a Youth Pastor and materials that are easy to follow and learn from in an evidential based apologetic. J.Warner Wallace’s website is Cold Case Christianity. Interestingly I don’t find a lot of curriculum for presuppositional apologetics but recommend videos and books by Karl Barth and Francis Schaeffer. J. Warner Wallace provides materials but not curriculum since he recommends leaders write their own according to the audience that is being addressed.

(Sarah Malcangi) #5

I would recommend J. Warner Wallace’s books or I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist by Frank Turek and Norm Giseler.

(Helen Tan) #6

There have been excellent suggestions so far. Sean McDowell has some resources as well. You can check them out here:

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #7

Thanks SeanO for your response. Please expand on how I contact “@Carson Weitnauer”.
Blessings,
-Bud

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #8

Thanks for your reply, Jimmy. The primary challenge is that, presently, there is NO apologetics program! The CICRIN School is located on the largest island in the largest lake in Central America, Lake Nicaragua (Cocibolca - original name). This isolation is, in its own way, a blessing since no national curriculum has been placed on this school. 11 years ago, this was a one-room school house. Thanks to the generosity of visiting missions teams, donating both time and money, the school presently has individual classrooms for grades pre-school to the 7th grade that are attended by 100 students. I’ve designed a master plan for the school that will eventually accommodate 280 students and include an illuminated soccer field for night time play (I’m also an architect).

The bottom line is that I’ve been given approval by CICRIN’s director to design the best program that I can put together . . . with no limitations! It goes without saying that I’m in constant prayer for direction by the Holy Spirit to put together what God intends. It’s a rather heady challenge but also a great opportunity to rely completely on God’s direction.

Blessings,

-Bud

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #9

Thanks for your response Tim. You provide me with exactly what I’m looking for. These references will soon become part of my library of resources.

Given the 3rd world conditions in which this program will take place, it’s tempting to say that virtually anything will do. I can’t abide by this. As said in my original post, the bar has been set high in creating a superior apologetics program that equips our students to become the salt and light in Nicaragua, no matter where our graduates’ futures take them.

This is especially important given the chaotic political conditions that have emerged over the last month in Nicaragua. If you Google “Nicaragua news today” you’ll get a taste of the turmoil in which Nicaragua finds itself. Nicaragua’s troubles are, without question, a spiritual battle, given that the President’s wife (who is also the Vice President and controls her husband) is a professional witch. Two examples of her evil are (1) an edict she enacted 8 years ago whose intent was to empty all children’s homes (orphanages) and return the children to their biological families. This sounds like a nice idea until you realize that these homes are where the children were badly abused and removed from their home by the government’s child welfare agency, Mi Familia. I’ve been involved with 3 children’s homes over my 29 years in Nicaragua (one of which is where I met my adopted daughter in 1990) and heard devastating horror stories of the abuse to which these children have been subjected. Most of these homes are Christian and are heavily funded by missions groups from the U.S. and (2) If you look at the news stories on Google, you’ll see giant metal “trees” that are being torn down by a populous that is enraged with the President and his wife . These trees were the idea of Rosario Murillo, the President’s wife, If you look closely, the trees are made up of a number of “666’s”. I’ve been told that it costs the country 1 million dollars a year just to pay for the electricity to illuminate these trees each night.

Again, thanks for your references which are of tremendous help to me and, ultimately will become a blessing to the children of CICRIN who will carry their training into many parts of Nicaragua.

Blessings,

-Bud

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #10

Thanks Sarah for responding to my inquiry with your valuable references. The input that I’ve received to date has been exactly what I’ve been praying for. I’m an architect, not being a professional educator or theologian, thus I’m relying on being led on a journey that will result in a superior apologetics program for the CICRIN School which I’ve been given the privilege of spear-heading. Your information is a clear example of answered prayers.

Blessings,

-Bud

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #11

Thanks so much for your response to my inquiry. As has already written to other contributors to my quest, yours is a real answer to prayers. Be assured that your references will become part of my growing stack of resources for a superior apologetics program at the CICRIN School on Ometepe Island in Nicaragua.

Please know that you are part of a chain of events that will have a multi-generational impact not just on the graduates of CICRIN School but on Ometepe Island where the school is lacated and, as the ripples of this program go forth, many parts of Nicaragua (and perhaps beyond!). Please keep CICRIN School in prayer as this program emerges and changes lives all in conformance with God’s plan.

(Carson Weitnauer) #12

Hi @barronica,

Here I am. :slight_smile:

We have seen high school students really enjoy the Everyday Questions (http://everydayquestions.org) small group curriculum in the US. We are working to have it available in Spanish, but that may take some time.

You could also consider live-streaming the Zacharias Institute’s high school conferences. For instance, ReFresh: https://www.regonline.com/registration/Checkin.aspx?EventID=2106967

In the next 6-12 months, we plan to make more of our content available digitally, and this will expand the number of options you have for utilizing RZIM content for your high school apologetics curriculum.

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #13

My apologies for not responding sooner. I’m challenged with all this new computer technology!
The main challenges facing the youth to whom this program is directed are the following:

1. almost non-existent spiritual knowledge
  2. poverty
  3. abusive home life
  4. inadequately trained teachers (a 6-month class gets you a teaching credential)
  5. limited curriculum, both academically and spiritually.
    Academically, I’m using “The ABC,s of How We Learn”, authored by the director of the graduate school of education at Stanford University and two of his PhD staff as well as “The PBL Playbook” (PBL=Project Based Learning) by A.J. Juliani. Apologetically, the two books I’m starting with are “Tactics” by Greg Koukl and “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist” by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek.
    I realize this is a big undertaking but the potential, regarding the multi-generational impact this could have on a nation (Nicaragua) that is now, more than ever, in the midst of major spiritual warfare, has given me a passion that is strongly connected with my passion for being used to bless abandoned abused children.

Thanks for your reply!

(Edward "Bud" Skibitzke) #14

Thanks so much. I now have the book.