What does God want?

How would you succinctly answer the question, “what does God want?”.

What do you think He wants? Remember, I’m looking for short, to the point, answers.

God bless!

2 Likes

Loyalty.

2 Likes

Psalms 51:16-17 - You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.

Isaiah 58:6-10 - “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

Micah 6:8 - He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Matthew 22:36-40 - “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

James 1:17 - Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

3 Likes

You!

4 Likes

Mark 12:29-31 NASB
[29] Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘Hear, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; [30] and YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.’ [31] The second is this, ‘You SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

4 Likes

God wants you to give your life to Him and praise and love God with all your heart.

4 Likes

Blockquote

A BEST FRIEND

Blockquote

2 Likes

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2Peter 3: 9

I believe ultimately God wants everyone to come to repentance, faith, and love. Everything that the Holy Spirit does through us, I believe, is to this end. Be it for one soul or thousands.

4 Likes

15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

The sin of the world is intellectual pride, as redeemed children of God I believe it is a matter of reverence and worship to set apart Christ as Lord of our hearts, Lord of our minds, Lord of our souls and Lord of our strength.

2 Likes

Happy New Year to everyone and thank you for your responses. They are all good.

Here’s what my answer to this question would be:
What does God want?
I’ve come to the point that when/if someone asks (or when I ask) “what do you think God wants from me/you?”, the answer is to know Him and correspondingly to actually believe in what we know via what He has said, the words God has used.
I believe God’s greatest and simplest desire is for us to KNOW HIM, all the parts of Him (Father, Son, & Holy Spirit). By knowing Him, I’m not speaking of an intellectual assent or head knowledge, I’m talking about the intimate and personal knowledge that we might also call belief.

While that is my short, to-the-point answer, expanding a bit I would include:

• This is why He sent Jesus, His Son - The image the perfect representation of God the Father! (Col 1:15-20)
  • Christ is the Word of God, God Himself made flesh. (John 1:1, 14)
  • To KNOW God IS eternal life. (John 17:3)
  • It is KNOWING the TRUTH that sets us free! (John 8:32)

Here are some verses that have led me to think this:

• Jer 9:23-24 This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.
  • Jer 31:33-34 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
  • Ps 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
  • John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
  • John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.