What does it mean to judge someone Biblically?

(Aruna Datt) #1

I often hear Don’t judge when I point out anything which is wrong
Kindly help with Biblical support
Thanks

(SeanO) #2

@ArunaDatt Here are some initial thoughts I hope you will find helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

• timing - even if someone is wrong, it is not always the right time to say so - maybe it should even be done in private (if you are at a meeting and you don’t want to shame them, for example)
  • moral truth versus simple facts - pointing out logical fallacies all day could make people not like you - and there is a difference between getting a fact wrong (number of yards in a mile) and a moral truth.
  • believer vs unbeliever - Paul makes it clear that the Church is to judge within itself - but not to judge outsiders - we are to leave the judgment of unbelievers to God
  • motives of the heart - we should not judge peoples’ motives because we do not know their motives - only God knows the motives of other peoples’ hearts
  • relationship - exhorting someone in sin without a relationship is often unhelpful because it requires a lot of trust to allow someone to confront you about your sin
  • teachers - the Bible tells us to closely examine the lives of those who we regard as teachers because we are placing ourselves in a vulnerable position and allowing them to have influence in our lives - we should examine their life to see that it is one of love and truth - but at the same time not become fruit pickers who nitpick at every fault or make a show of condemning others
  • hypocrisy - the classic text against judging others (Matthew 7:1-6) is not saying that we should never judge (later in that same chapter Jesus tells us how to recognize false teachers by judging/evaluating their lives), but that we should not be hypocrites. In view of God’s great mercy for us, we should also be merciful to others and recognize that we too fall short. The parable of the unforgiving servant (Matthew 18:21-35) highlights this point well - we must forgive as we have been forgiven.

I Cor 5:12 - What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

1 Cor 4:3-5 - I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

Matthew 7:1-6 - “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 7:15-20 - “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

(Stephen Wuest) #3

The New Testament word krinw has a number of different meanings. They include meanings such as to discern, to decide, to judge. Unfortunately, our English translations of the Bible may not be the best, when dealing with these different meanings. In modern English in America, when someone says that we should not “judge” them, they often mean that we should not condemn them (or perhaps, should not express any opinion about the correctness or incorrectness of their behavior).

What is forbidden, is to try to take on the roll of Christ, and become judge of all human beings (as to whether or not they will be condemned at the final judgment, or not).

You can find verses in the New Testament that command us not to judge falsely, but to have proper judgment.

(Aruna Datt) #4

Thanks for answering my question What I understand by the word Judge is to pronounce a sentence & Biblically Our Lord Jesus Christ has the right to judge at the end