What does it mean when he said I want Christendom to end?

Dear all,

I had a conversation with my pastor a few weeks ago. I normally have some casual chat with my pastor on Christian faith and theology. He is a very good person and always encourages me. I was quite alarmed when he said he wants Christendom to end everywhere in the world especially in America.

The Church that I attend is more liberal and so do the pastor I guess. From what I converse with him, I guess he is concerned about the atrocities done by the British and other western colonials under the name of Christianity.

I am just concerned about what is his real intention behind those words “I want Christendom to end in America”. I personally believe we can’t interpret the Bible based on our political lenses such as liberal, conservative, democrat, etc. I also think too much liberal thoughts deviate from true Christian teachings and more prone to adapt to postmodern culture.

Need some opinions or advice.

Hi Yuven,

As you think back over the context of your conversation at the time and what was being discussed, does what he said make more sense in light of that? Is it possible for you to have a follow up talk with him and ask him to elaborate on what he meant when he made that statement?

I am praying for you to have God’s direction and discernment as you go forward in this situation.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

3 Likes

Hi @MaryBeth1 Thank you for the kind reply. I was thinking back at the conversation. If I am not mistaken, we having conversation about the the Israel-Palestine conflict. I asked him is the formation of Israel in 1948 can be of a Bible prophecy. Somehow the conversation ended up at Trump as president. Then I guess he said it’s better for Christendom to end in America.

But I will be having a chat with him again and clarify this.

Yuven

I am not sure what your pastor meant by his statement but because it ended on a political note I am going to hazard a guess.
There is the idea that the church will somehow usher in the Kingdom of God if we all would just believe or act right or what every we think would move history to the final chapter. It is a thought that we see in the 2nd temple period, Saul’s zeal for righteous living. Here is except from a book that I have been reading and I think that it might frame this concern on Christendom. It’s from the 4th century.

In the time of Constantine, the result of the engagement of the state, through the emperor, in affairs of the Church, first became clear in the protracted Athanasian-Arian controversy. In the end, the Church changed in character, becoming all-powerful even within the lifetimes of men who had faced persecution and death in its cause. Unprepared for a role in civil and political life, Christianity had promised a kingdom of Heaven, but gained its realm in the here and now. Using the state to fight its enemies, it became subservient to the state as well (Lot, p. 50).

Neusner, J. (2003). Judaism in Society: The Evidence of the Yerushalmi: Toward the Natural History of a Religion (p. 5). Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.

Food for thought.

1 Like