Support RZIM Connect

What Does Jesus as "Bread of Life" Mean?

In today’s Take Five, RZIM Canada’s Alanzo Julian Paul continues exploring the theme of beauty through the lens of Jesus’ proclamation that he is “the bread of life.”

When [Christ] says that He is the bread of life, He is a type of food that when you consume it it does to your spirit the same thing that food does to your physical body…it sustains us and strengthens us and allows us to live another day.

The beautiful reality of Jesus being the bread of life is that He is filled with all of the divine nutrients and vitality of heaven, leading to eternal life when it’s consumed.

Make it Personal

• What does it mean to you that Jesus is our “bread of life?”

Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water…If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. – C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

• How does Jesus being the “Bread of Life” speak to this idea of unsatisfied longings, and how can we help point others to Jesus through it?
1 Like

Hi Joshua :slightly_smiling_face:

That is a really good first question. To me it means that Jesus is needed in order for life to be possible, not only now but also for eternity. We can be physically alive, living by our own means and being the gods of our lives, but not actually be eating the true life sustaining bread that only Jesus provides. The passage in John 6 also shows that the eating of this ‘living bread’ brings about an eternal union with Christ which means all our desires and needs are fulfilled in Him. Jesus is the answer and the resource for all the our needs and desires. Another amazing thing from the John 6 scripture, is that the people ask a works based and law based question in how they are to attain the rewards from God. Jesus blows up their law based mentality on what rule or work they must obey to achieve the reward; Jesus simply says that the work is belief in Him (John 6:29). So it also means to me that the “bread of life” is a gift, that can only be received through faith.

To your second question, Jesus speaks to unsatisfied longing because everything was made through Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16). We are made for Jesus which means we can never find fullness of life and a satisfied life apart from Him. A way we can help lead people to Jesus may be to find what desire in life they thought was going to bring relief from hunger, but ultimately led to starvation. As the C.S. Lewis quote above says “Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.” Getting to know people and their questions and hungers can help to open doors that give space for the hope of the gospel to be shared.

I would love to hear others thoughts to these questions :smiley:.

2 Likes