What does Jesus mean when he says he is the Truth? (John 14:6)

(Chua Yeong Chun) #1

Hi everyone,
Have been doing some devotion recently and have been wondering about this verse
"“I am the way and the truth and the life” (John 14:6)?

What does Jesus mean when he says he is the Truth ?

(SeanO) #2

@cycmeg If we go back to the Garden of Eden we see that the serpent questioned God’s Word - satan is the father of lies. Jesus, in contrast, is Truth incarnate - the Word of God made flesh - come to show us to way to the living God. Jesus, being God, cannot lie and in His life exemplified what it means to be truly human. He is the true representation of God and has been from the beginning - the root reality behind all things - the source of all things.

If we look at the context of the passage, Jesus’ main point seems to be that He is the true representative of God to mankind. He is the only way to the Father - the true King, the true High Priest, the true sacrifice for sins. If the Pharisees did not recognize Him, then they did not know the true God.

Here are a few other resources to consider. The Spirit of Christ grant you wisdom in this matter. Feel free to ask more questions.

“Again Jesus used the definite article to emphasize Himself as “the only truth.” Psalm 119:142 says, “Your law is the truth.” In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus reminded His listeners of several points of the Law, then said, “But I say unto you . . .” (Matthew 5:22, 28, 32, 34, 39, 44), thereby equating Himself with the Law of God as the authoritative standard of righteousness. In fact, Jesus said that He came to fulfill the Law and the prophets (Matthew 5:17). Jesus, as the incarnate Word of God (John 1:1) is the source of all truth.”

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/14-6.htm

(Chua Yeong Chun) #3

Thank you Sean, I spend the last few days digesting your reply and had a meaningful discussion on the Truth with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Specifically, I borrowed your written phrase “the root reality behind all things - the source of all things”. Really appreciate the insight you’ve given.
Thank you so much!

(SeanO) #4

@cycmeg Glad it was helpful! The Lord bless you as you grow in grace and knowledge of Him.

(Joel Vaughn) #5

@cycmeg, It is interesting to re-read John 17:17-19 in terms of Jesus talking about Himself as Truth and as the Word of God. Then compare it to Hebrews 2:10-11 and Hebrew 13:12-15.