What happens to our soul immediately after death?

(Sujan) #1

Hi

What happens to our soul immediately after the death? What is the state of man’s soul till the second coming of Christ?

Thanks

(SeanO) #2

@valli.sujankumar That is a good question. The Bible is clear that those who know Christ will be with Him when they die, where they will await the resurrection. Here are a few supporting verses and an article from Sam Storms. The Lord Jesus grant you peace and wisdom.

Luke 23:43 - Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

2 Corinthians 5:8 - We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

" In these verses Paul speaks of his desire to be alive when Christ returns, for then he would not have to die physically and experience the separation of body and spirit, a condition he refers to as being “naked” (v. 3) or “unclothed”. Paul’s perspective on life and death may therefore be put in this way: It is good to remain alive on this earth to serve Christ (Phil. 1:21a,22a,24-26). On the other hand, it is better to die physically and enter into the presence of Christ (2 Cor. 5:6-8; Phil. 1:21b,23). However, it is by far and away best to be alive when Christ returns, for then we avoid death altogether and are immediately joined with the Lord in our resurrected and glorified bodies."

Sam Storms on What Happens After We Die

(Sujan) #3

Hi SeanO,

Thank you for the reply and supporting references for the same.

However, when u say that we will be with Christ till resurrection, are our souls going to be in heaven to be with Christ once we die and till our resurrection.

Thanks

(SeanO) #4

@valli.sujankumar Let me make sure I understand your question correctly. Are you asking if we will be in Heaven with Christ until the resurrection and New Heavens and New Earth?

If so, I believe the answer is yes - we will be with Christ when we die. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

(Alpheus) #5

Then, where does reincarnation fits in? Or is that, every time a child is conceived a new soul is created and allocated to it?

And regarding our resurrection. I take it that it will be in the physical form on Earth, right? If so, where will all those trillions and trillions of people stay as they all resurrect on the return of Jesus Christ? And what there after?

(SeanO) #6

@jgweba Thank you for those follow-up questions. There is no reincarnation in Christianity. Below is a thread that may help you think through the idea of reincarnation. It is my understanding from Scripture that our soul comes into existence when we are created.

Hebrews 9:27 - Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.

The New Heavens and New Earth are not necessarily exactly like the current earth - I am sure God will make them large enough to hold everyone :slight_smile: Regarding what comes after in eternity, C. S. Lewis said that ‘Joy is the serious business of Heaven’ - we will reign forever with Christ in joy and glory.

1 Cor 2:9 - However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” – the things God has prepared for those who love him

Revelation 22:1-5 - Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

(Marie Flores) #7

Praise God for these kind of messages bring tears to my eyes and feel how God loves me so much!

(Alpheus) #8

Is there any scriptures that support reincarnations in Christianity?

I fully agree with Hebrews 9:27 on a person (flesh and blood) dying once. What about the Soul? Is it the one that faces judgement? I can understand why there is no reincarnation in Christianity. It is to prevent people from thinking that they have countless chances to be righteous. This can alter their behaviour on Earth. Was it deliberately removed from all the Christian bibles?

So, God always creates new Souls to occupy new bodies? And what about near death experience (NDE). That is when a Soul separate from the body and comes back to occupy that same body again? Isn’t that some form of reincarnation?

And what about countless records of stories of reincarnations, walk-inns and Soul braiding?

(SeanO) #9

@MC_Flores Indeed, God loved us enough to give His Son so that we can be with Him forever - may the Lord Jesus bless you to understand His fathomless love!

Romans 8:38-39 - For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

(SeanO) #10

@jgweba Please check out the following book to have a fuller view of the powerful evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. If Jesus is the Truth - then we should trust His teaching and He teaches that there is only one life. I posted a few other threads you may find helpful.

May the Lord Jesus open your eyes and hear to see His love and goodness.