What have you learned about Jesus recently?

In this week’s podcast, Shawn and Ivy discussed hedonism–the pursuit of pleasure. It’s hard to fight the urge to live for our own pleasure. The only answer I can find is to dive into the heart of God and discover that pleasure is found in Him alone.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11 ESV)

Ivy challenged us to read one of the gospels and pray, “Jesus, You’re present with me. Would You show me something about Yourself through this account of Your life that I haven’t noticed about You before?”

Let’s take her challenge and then share with each other what we learn about Jesus.

2 Likes

I am learning that Jesus is not withholding any good thing from me. To have Christ is to have everything.
Even though God may lead me to different directions in life than I thought, planned, or expected, He is all I need.

3 Likes

That’s a wonderful thought, Sadie. My life has not turned out the way I expected, but I can truly say God’s way is beautiful. Thank you for reminding me that Christ is all I need.

1 Like

I read part of Luke this week and landed on a half-thought and half-question. I hadn’t noticed before how much Luke 4 emphasizes Jesus’s relationship to the Holy Spirit.

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness. (Luke 4:1 ESV)

And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. (Luke 4:14 ESV)

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19 ESV)

I want to rely more on the Spirit’s power. If Jesus did things “in the power of the Spirit,” I’m a fool to think I can function on my own.

I’m a little puzzled by this, though. We know Jesus is fully God, so He’s all-wise and all-powerful. Why did He need to be led by the Spirit or rely on the power of the Spirit? Does this tell us something about the complete unity within the Trinity, or does it speak more about the incarnation?

3 Likes

Wow, great thoughts. the trinity is something I struggle to understand at times. All three persons are complete in themselves but also have been dwelling together in perfect relationship since eternity past.

Perhaps this is a good example for us.
Jesus is fully God. That has two implications- first, being God, I do not think Jesus ‘needed’ the Holy Spirit. He is complete in himself. Second, Jesus being God means He is a part of the trinity so He is always in relationship with the Spirit and the Father.
Jesus is also fully human which allows us to have an “image of the invisible One” (Colossians 1:15). This is incredibly helpful. Not only did Jesus experience life as a human and draw near to us in this sense, we can also look at His life for practical guidelines for life and behavior. Maybe this is one example- Jesus always walked with the Spirit, inviting the Holy Spirit to be present in His life.
I am reminded of Luke 11:13. Jesus says to all who ask for the Holy Spirit, they will receive it.
I hope to become more fully filled with the Holy Spirit in my life by inviting Him in to lead and guide me through all my days.

2 Likes

As for me, I recently learned that Jesus is faithful to keep His Word. Once He promised something, it will surely happen. Likewise with the consequences, if we choose not to, it will surely happen and God does so for our own good that we may not to choose the wrong decision again. Moreover, I encountered recently the story of the Prodigal Son, I learned God’s character of faithfulness, compassion, love, and care. It’s a great comfort to know that I am in the hands of our faithful, patient, and loving Father.

I appreciate your insights on the Holy Spirit and Jesus. I learned a lot from your replies and comments with @Sgpage. To add up, I’d like to share with you my notes from the class I took last school year. Maybe it’ll give you some clarity as well on the mystery of the Trinity. :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @Jennifer_Wilkinson! I was reading through the whole book of John this week and I also saw what you saw about Jesus and the Holy Spirit. With regards to your question, I think it’s both the unity of the Trinity and the incarnation of Jesus. I was reading John 17 this morning and I stumbled on v5 “And now,Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.” As I was reading through this, I’m reminded of Philippians 2:6-8 where Jesus “emptied himself”. Correct me if I’m wrong. I think that Jesus, when He became man, in essence, He was still God but stripped(in the moment)with the glory that He has as God. He wouldn’t pray that prayer if it wasn’t so and the people around Him wouldn’t stand His glory too. (Remembering Moses and the Israelites at Mt. Sinai) While He was human, He needs to rely on the Holy Spirit and the Father for everything. As I was also reading John, Jesus kept on telling His disciples and the Jews that He only does what the Father wills and He will not do anything that is not from the Father. He has complete reliance to the Holy Spirit and obedience to the Father. He really did live the life we ought to live; a life of complete dependence and obedience to God.

I also learned that His great delight is indeed found in the Father and not of Himself. And He also tells His disciples to do the same; John 15:9-11
“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you. Abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.”

When Jesus obeyed the Father and abide in His love, His joy is full and we ought to do the same so Jesus’ fullness of joy will remain in us as well. I learned from reading the book of John what John Piper meant when he said “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him”. Jesus lived that life as an example for us. :blush:

1 Like

@Sgpage , your comment caused me to think again about the beauty of the Trinity. I realized I was foolish to think Jesus didn’t need the Spirit since He was God. Was I asking to split up the Trinity? Can you imagine the kind of fellowship the Father, Son, and Spirit have with each other?

@Keithy, thanks for reminding me of John 17. I especially enjoy what Jesus prayed in John 17:21-23.

That they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

After contemplating the fellowship in the Trinity, it’s amazing to think that Jesus prayed we would have unity with Them like They have with each other. What greater source of joy can there be? Just like you said by quoting John 15:11.

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

@davidjblazo, thanks for sharing your notes! That’s a lot of great information. What kind of class were you taking? Were you using a textbook? If so, what book? (I’m a book addict. :wink:)

2 Likes

I also love Jesus’ prayer in John 17 for us to be united as they were with the Trinity! This God’s desire for His Church and what a great sight that would be!!! Thanks for sharing this verse @Jennifer_Wilkinson. It’s really amazing how the Trinity don’t need each other yet depend on each other. It’s a mystery I want to ask Jesus when we meet face to face someday😊

1 Like

Hello! Your welcome, all glory to God :smile: The class that I took was called Christian, Faith, and Living. I’m sorry but I’m not sure if there is a textbook version of it. I took home schooling when I encountered that course so the information that I got was from an online school website called, Ignitia from Alpha Omega Publications.