What if Eve had eaten the fruit but Adam hadn’t?

Hi there, my 6 year old daughter has asked me a question that I can’t answer with certainty. It’s also got me asking further questions.

What if Eve had eaten the fruit but Adam hadn’t? Would sin have entered creation anyway?

Or, as I suspect, would Adam have acted like a type of kinsman redeemer for Eve? The reason I wonder this has to do with the order of their actions in Genesis 3:

Genesis 3:6-9 New International Version (NIV)

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

1. Eve ate
  2. Adam ate
  3. Then both their eyes were opened.

If Adam hadn’t eaten, would neither of their eyes have been opened to their sin?

How would Eve’s actions have been atoned for?
Would she need to be atoned for at all?

I’d be really interested to hear people’s thoughts on this.

Tricky situation and it depends on your interpretation of scripture on how you would answer it.

My analysis of the situation is that Adam should have told the Serpent to shut up since, if it’s an animal, and tempting his wife, it must fall in subjugation to him.

Or he could have asked ADONI Elohim what to do if such a case arises or ask right then and there because he couldn’t have been too far off.

1 Like

Alternatively, he could have asked Eve if she would rather eat of the tree of life.

So are you suggesting that basically because Adam didn’t intercept and tell the snake to stop its temptation of Eve that Adam was already sinning since he wasn’t fulfilling his God given role to rule over the animals? He was, in fact, handing authority over to Satan merely by remaining silent, even before he actually ate? Which raises my next question: was his first sin his silence or his agreement to eat the fruit?

I think the way God set it up is that God would have known when adam sinned. “Where” exactly adam sinned I do not know, but God does. In this way we can reason that God gave Adam a choice between knowledge and life and adam chose knowledge.

I think a more interesting question would be “What if Adam and Eve ate of the tree of life instead?”

One point I find that it is important to keep in mind is that fact that Eve was deceived and Adam was not. So, therefore, what Adam did was way worse. He knowingly disobeyed God while Eve did so while not fully understanding the implications of her actions. I do wonder if there would have been some redeeming act Adam could have performed in order to atone of the sin of ignorance committed by Eve. I kind of like C. S. Lewis’ idea that Adam and Eve were meant to play a redemptive role on earth. It is kind of fascinating.

3 Likes