What is culture? How do we define it?

(Jasmine Arthur) #1

What is meant by culture? How do you define what culture is?

(SeanO) #2

@Jasmine That is a great question. The below article from the Gospel Coalition gave one definition of culture from Leslie Newbigin that would suffice, though there are many possible definitions that would probably be along the same lines. I’ve provided some video resources from Tim Keller and a book from Abdu Murray that I thought also would be helpful - Keller does a great job of talking about how we engage culture.

Leslie Newbigin writes that culture is “the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.” ( Gospel in a Pluralist Society, 188.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgsZKzZp-g

Hope that was helpful. Feel free to ask more questions. Christ bless you as you study.

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #3

I must say, that book by Abdu Murray is absolutely fantastic! I have recently finished reading it and highlighted so much of it. It is definitely a must-read for those with questions on today’s culture!

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Here is an excerpt for a book I like.

“Culture” is anything that humans produce when they interact with each other and with God’s creation. When we interact with each other and with God’s creation, we cultivate the ground (grain, vegetables, livestock), produce artifacts (clothes, housing, cars), build institutions (governments, businesses, schools), form worldviews (theism, pantheism, atheism), and participate in religions (Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Atheism). We produce culture, and at the same time our cultural context shapes us, affecting who we are, what we think and do, and how we feel.

Ashford, B. R. (2015). Every Square Inch: An Introduction to Cultural Engagement for Christians (p. 13). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.