What is darkness?

What is darkness? Is it just the absence of light?

3 Likes

Yes - darkness is the default state when light is not produced. Darkness was upon the face of the deep until God said, Let there be light. Light is a “thing” - darkness is the absence of that “thing”.

You can remove light to get darkness, but there’s no such thing as removing darkness to get light.

And spiritually, darkness is mankind’s default until God, Who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ - II Corinthians 4:6.

I hope this answer helps you.

5 Likes

So is darkness eternal?

I think @SrushtiBalegar and I are asking similar questions here…

Not in the light of the New Jerusalem or in the presence of the children of light. We will glow wherever we go! We will not glide in darkness!

2 Likes

I have just read the link to the question about whether God is light or darkness. Of course, God is light and in him is no darkness at all - I John 1:5. I believe the question is mistakenly conflating the spiritual and the physical. For all eternity past, the physical universe did not exist, but God, Who is an immortal Spirit, dwelt in the light which no man can approach unto - I Timothy 6:16. And when He created the physical universe, the entrance of His word created the first physical light - Psalm 119:130.

I hope this helps you see the difference between the two.

8 Likes

Yes, that does make sense! Thank you!

Would you say that in a scientific context and viewpoint the following statement could be used as well?

I guess my second question is:

Is it scientific to say that darkness is the mere absence of light? Or is there more to it?

1 Like

This is a good question, @CharityLinzey! One that I have not really considered very deeply before either.

@jlyons, I love how you stated this key moment at the beginning of time:

Along with @CharityLinzey’s most recent question, when Genesis 1:2 talks about darkness being upon the face of the deep, does this imply that darkness had always been, because physical light had not been created yet?

2 Likes

Thanks, Anna! I appreciate the question you asked there.

And yes, I loved what James brought out as well! really amazing point!

1 Like

interesting conversation. My wife, who is part of BSF (Bible Study Fellowship), this year is studying Genesis; and asked the same question. “Did God make darkness.”; It made me think too; Genesis says that darkness existed and God made light. My response was that darkness is the absence of light.

@jlyons this is an interesting statement; “We will glow wherever we go! We will not glide in darkness!”. just curious as to the reference you have for this statement? The only reference I know of for the source of light in the New Jerusalem is Revelation 21 with the new heaven and new earth; verse 9 it mentions light “Her light”, but it seems that’s the city itself?

1. Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came [f]to me and talked with me, saying, “Come, I will show you the [g]bride, the Lamb’s wife.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the [h]great city, the [i]holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God. Her light was like a most precious stone, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal.

then in v 23; there is no sun or moon, and the glory of God illuminates it, and the Lamb (the Lamb being Jesus Christ) is it’s light.

23 The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine [l]in it, for the [m]glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. 24 And the nations [n]of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor [o]into it. 25 Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).

I know that our newly resurrected bodies will be similar to the Lord Jesus; but I’m really curious as to where this idea of us glowing came from. Of course, the Rev 21:3-4 about ‘no more pain, no more crying; God will wipe away every tear’ is the best part; and I’m looking forward to this.

2 Likes

Now that is a hard question to think about…!. :slight_smile:
If we say that darkness (being the absence of light) has always been; or as Charity asked ‘is darkness eternal’; I think we run into problems with God being eternal and the physical Universe which we know having had a beginning. (the Cosmological argument for God’s existence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CulBuMCLg0)

As James (@jlyons) pointed out; God is an Eternal (immortal) Spirit (I Timothy 6:16). He exists eternally outside of time and the physical universe, and when He created the physical universe he created light.

So I would say that, no, darkness is not eternal; because that would imply the universe was eternal, and it isn’t.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness [a] was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. [b]So the evening and the morning were the first day.

I’ve always wondered about this too; light was created on day 1, and the sun was created on day 4; perhaps it was that on day 1; God ‘invented’ physical light and He was light; and then on day 4 He made the sun as a light for our earth. :thinking: ‘the evening and the morning were the first day’; is talking from the perspective of the earth. I’m (still) a young earth creationist at this stage, but that is a story for another day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, my statement about glowing wherever we’re going was just my poetic way of summarizing how the Bible describes our resurrection bodies as differing in glory like the stars in I Corinthians 15:41-42 and Daniel 12:3 - and other statements similar to Matthew 13:43 where Jesus says that the righteous shall shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.

4 Likes

I agree with @matthew.western’s comment that physical darkness existing forever implies a physical universe existing forever - which is not true. That was the idea I was going for, but I think he articulated better.

4 Likes

thankyou James, that’s great; I like how all three of those passages look forward to what God has in store for those that love Him (1 Cor 2:9); and I especially like the encouragement in 1 Corinthians 15; where Paul says ‘death, where is your sting’; we are looking forward with a bright hope.

There are so many passages in the Bible that compare light with darkness; encouraging Christians to be salt and light to try to point people to Christ.

thankyou again. apologies if my original post came across a little ‘questioning’.

3 Likes

Thanks Matthew, that shed light on Genesis 1:1&2 that I’d not realized ‘till now… darkness is not even mentioned ‘till after God had created the heavens and the earth. Not to say that it wasn’t there but we see here God’s focus is not on the darkness but rather on the light He brings to His creation. Like what @jlyons mentioned “when He created the physical universe, the entrance of His word created the first physical light - Psalm 119:130.”
Just a neat reminder of where it is our focus should be! :thinking:

4 Likes

Allow me to , help with clarity here

In reference to the scripture God said let there be light …out of darkness comes light

If we apply whAt we know according to our study of light and it’s disability darkness. Black is the collective of all visible light and it’s properties …what happens is as the colors blend into each other more and more the environment in which the atoms are neutralized and at a level non active state they emit a color but ones energy shifts a previous color it affects that atom and thus becomes accustomed to the next darker color on the spectrum …it does not regenerate back to a previous light because light can only be regenerated by the atomic environment of dark. Darkness has the combination of all the colors of the spectrum. Light does not become destroyed it just reduces in brightness and hue …Light reduces as it is cooled …energy is what restores light energy is what influences the atomic particles of light that are active in darkness …Darkness contains more light than visible light darkness also attracts all sources of light…like a mother’s womb God is light and darkness God is no conscious of negative of any sort man does not have the ability to comprehended the idemtify the love of God is perfect over the notation of not one flaw can be associated to God even the miniscule association of God’s expectations writ by man holds flaws unworthy of his notation of documentation…out of black is light u r enlightened in darkness because ur fear shud b placed in no other conscious awareness other than making a negate or displeased notation of God making u susceptible to the enemies false opposition

1 Like

When God says creating the heavens and earth in the bible God is referring to the earth itself and the atmosphere that surrounds our earth our galaxy is being formed here during this phase the stars r not emitting light neither is the moon and sun God
referring to the night sky that we see when we look up and see the glow of stars which everyone envisions space as dark but we are what is a combination of stars and planets the galaxy we r in shines bright with all the collection of stars. Let there be light is the permissible passage of light from the sun at day and the moon at night God’s command of light is associated to the impact of energy that causes light to shine when atomic particles clash light is the representation of energy at a certain degree earth had no light when it was first created however all life was ready to be activated with the regulation of light on multiple spectra as we can’t sustain at a constant single state of visible light which is being awake day time. We replenish when we rest close our eyes into dark.which is night

1 Like

i am curious to know how your notation of darkness being related to not of god or of a representation of an opposition to god?

1 Like

Thank you @Aquafinafloe for your interest in this thread. Would you mind clarifying your question for me? I apologize for my incomprehension but I’m not quite understanding your last question.

sorry about that, often i am complicated with my expressions.I was asking, how did you (as in any one) come to concluding of darkness bot being of god? or darkness not an equivalent of good association to god as light is?

im asking this based on the responses to the post.

1 Like