What is "Good" to God?

Has your understanding of a clean room or house ever differed from your spouse’s, parent’s, or child’s understanding of “clean”? Sam Allberry shares that, when he was a college student, his perception of a clean house was very different from his parents’ (some of you may relate!). In this video, Sam talks about how, similarly, our understanding of what it means to be a good person–or, “to do a good job of being people”–is very different to God’s, and how we move forward with this knowledge.

For the Old Testament people of God, the people of Israel, their national symbol was the vine, and it was a really apt symbol. It spoke of who they were, and what they were meant to be doing.

By nature, none of us can be who we’re meant to be, who we sense we should be, who in our better moments we know we want to be. The fact is we’re just not very good at being people. We do a lot of bad things, and even our good things are often pretty messed up.

Our understanding of what it means to be a good person, to be doing a good job of being people is very different to God’s which is why Jesus says, “I am the true vine.”

Make it Personal

• Can you think of a time where you thought, “that’s good enough!” only to realize later that it really was not good enough?

• What does it practically look like for our lives to be grafted into Jesus’?

1 Like

Thanks @jspare for sharing this with us! I was reminded of the verse Isaiah 64:6 which says
“But we are all as an unclean thing , and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.“

This was a really great point! I’ll be thinking on this for awhile!

Our understanding of what it means to be a good person, to be doing a good job of being people is very different to God’s which is why Jesus says, “I am the true vine.”
[/quote]

No matter how hard we try, the best fruit we can produce is artificial plastic and if it’s really great, it might have some shine to it, but it’s ultimately still empty!! Only when we are abiding in Christ and on board His “plane” can He do the work in and through us that produces nutritious fruit. Being grafted into Christ is so amazing and something I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand! Christ’s nature is to “fly” and when we make that daily moment by moment decision to follow Him, He leads us to the skies. We can’t keep Him to ourselves, His amazing love overflows through and beyond those that are abiding in Him beckoning others that taste of the fruit of His goodness to join Him as well. May we not stop at the flight deck, only to see what He can do but rather jump on board and experience who He is.

4 Likes

Well put, @CharityLinzey!

4 Likes