What is sodomy in the Bible? And are certian acts Sodomy only on outside of marriage

(Jeremiah Schuler) #1

Sorry for the award question. Came up during conversation and now I am really curious. Thanks

2 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #2

Here is a link to got questions. It is a trust worthy site.

I am sure you are not the first to ask this question.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #3

@jeremiahschuler The Encyclopedia Britannica gives this word a wide range of definitions, from one contextually rooted in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 19 to bestiality… I think it would be important to clarify with another person what they meant by the term.

Because this term is derived from the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, I think it is important to consider that terrible event and what precipitated God’s judgment. What we see is that rather than offering the angels hospitality, which would have been the cultural expectation, the inhabitants attempted to force homosexual intercourse. Now, some people would argue that it was the lack of hospitality / forced intercourse and not the homosexual intercourse that was wrong, but we know from other Biblical texts and from the overarching narrative of Scripture that both of these acts are clearly not in keeping with God’s design / intentions.

2 Likes