What is the Connection between the Trinity, Love, and the Creation of Humanity?

Hi Michelle,

I have taken the Core Module and loved your lecture on the trinity. After taking Faith Seeking Understanding, I wish to know more about the connection between the Trinity, love, and creation, particularly the creation of humans. Would it be possible to elaborate on that? Perhaps you could also suggest some reading material (online and print) and also Scripture references. Thank you for sharing your time with us this week.

1 Like

Hi Michele,

I highly recommend The Good God by Mike Reeves. I reference him in my lecture, his book is short and almost devotional while at the same time really informative on the trinitarian nature of God.

I like Gerald Bray’s God is Love. This is a more systematic, but written for those who wouldn’t normally dive into dense theology books. I like that the whole book is centered on the love of God and it really unpacks what that means for us a Christians.

Both Reeves and Bray’s books work through scripture as they explain the connection between the love of the Godhead and God’s love and purpose for creation.

If you want to read a church father, then St. Augustine’s The Trinity is a good one. This can get clunky at times, but it is seen as a seminal work for research on the Trinity. He is the one who uses Love, Lover and the Beloved to try to explain the relationship between God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and how we fit into the picture. Here is a great article from Margaret Manning who summaries this. https://www.rzim.org/read/a-slice-of-infinity/love-lover-and-beloved

If you have a study bible or any type of biblical research tool on your computer or online you could always do a study of passages that refer to The Father, Son and Spirit.

Passages such as Genesis 1:

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (Genesis 1:26–27 ESV)

https://accordance.bible/link/read/ESVS#Gen._1:26

Or other passages like John 14 that talk about how Jesus’ love is displayed for his followers as he goes away. Jesus takes time to stress the love of the Father for us, our adoption into the family of God, and the sending of the Holy Spirit to comfort us in Jesus absence.

Keep diving into the Trinity! The more I study it, the more I am overwhelmed at how great God’s love is for each and every one of us.

Blessings,

Michelle

1 Like

Thank you, Michelle, I appreciate this community so much. It’s nice to know there is a place to go with my questions. God bless everyone.

2 Likes