What is the definition of Truth? How do we handle truth?

This is just my question in order to just hear from you guys, your answers.

2 Likes

Truth is that which corresponds with reality.

Could you make your question, “how do we handle truth” more precise?

Hello brother :slight_smile: I mean how do we live for Truth? I think that was what I meant haha

1 Like

Hmmm… That is an interesting question. Perhaps part of the answer is to “Live as though that which is true is true”? In other words, if I know eating a particular fruit will harm me, living for that truth would be living it in such a way so that I do not ingest that fruit because it will harm me.

Does that begin to approach an answer?

2 Likes

Is this more of a question of how to get the truth from head knowledge down to heart knowledge? I have heard it said that the longest distance is from your head to your heart; there is a difference between knowing what is right and doing what is right. I don’t really have an answer except to maybe identify and remove whatever it is that is stopping you from living for Truth …

Truth is an attribute/quality of reality. There is no entity such as ‘truth’, like a kilo of truth or a meter of truth or a box of truth. If something ‘exists’ in reality that ‘thing’ is called true.
So knowing these, truth comes in two forms- the reality themselves (like a cup placed on your table) or statements/sentences which claim of reality(like the sentence," The cup is placed on your table").
And so to know the truth we need to know reality/ the statements of reality just like to know beauty we need to see/know beautiful things. And what is reality?- it depends on- reality regarding what?- science, spirituality, arts, life, etc. So if you want to know truth you need to first know what aspect of reality you want to know.
And lastly the ultimate Reality is God Himself. In the Bible God refers to Himself as the ‘Great I AM’(Yahweh). The Great He IS. God IS. Juxtaposing this to the devil who is called the father of all lies- he claims or says something which is not there in reality but claims that it is there and decieves people, eg:- temptations.
So when we know God we know the ultimate Reality that connects all other realities and we know the ultimate Truth. That is why Jesus said He is the Truth! The very substance of Truth. He is the Truth and everything that he claimed and said is True i.e exists in reality, even the promise of a new and eternal life of freedom and joy in Him.

And so if you want to live for Truth it is the right way and it would mean to live for Jesus Christ. And for that we need to know Him first. And the Word of God has been give to us for that.
Jesus said, " I am the way, the truth and the life". When we follow Him we know the Truth and through the True Way we get Life.

3 Likes

Hi Karl,

We live for truth one day at a time and one step at a time.
I would call those steps “walking”.

If I may offer you a simple seven word answer to your question I believe it is unquestionably the most satisfying answer you will ever receive. Mind you, this seven word answer is not exactly mine. I kind of borrowed it from the bible as a summary of Romans Chapter 1 (which I will include at the bottom of this post with emphasis in bold).

Question: How do we live for Truth?
Answer: Walk in the light that you have.

As I said, the basis for this answer is non-original and I submit it for your consideration with reference to its source as such. Hopefully the emphasized bold face text of Romans chapter one below can speak most explicitly to the nuances of the question, and hopefully my condensed version of it “walk in the light that you have” does a fairly decent job of encapsulating the gist :slight_smile: To obtain understanding into the heart and soul of this whole “truth walking” is what the successive chapters of Romans is all about.

(From Romans 1)… “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.”

1 Like

THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS haaha yep I see the convincing coherence in your answers haha. Interesting indeed!

May your remarkable choice of words precede the steps you actually walk.
And may your truthful conversation with God and His word cause you to stumble into the most amazing, excellent, and useful life.

God Speed… (2 John 1:6-11)

1 Like