What is the Devil's motivation for being so evil?

Hi Mr Mashua,

After reading the Bible I am left with a question. What is the Devil’s motivation for his evil? I am wondering if and how my short comings relate.

Much thanks for your and RZIM’s work as it has been significant aid to my faith.

2 Likes

Hi @Wiksel,

This is a really good and deep question that i’ve been wondering myself. I still don’t have an adequate answer for how the devil’s first desire for evil came about. I don’t think we have this in the Bible as it begins with the presence of his desire for evil, but not it’s explanation. There are some helpful hints in the Bible that paint a picture of the devil (adversary) and his works as an intelligent personal spirit opposing all that God is doing, and is committed to destruction.

There are some texts that have been used to explain Satan’s origin (Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:12-19), where one is about the King of Babylon and the other about the city of Tyre, both coming under God’s judgement. In the New Testament, 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6 are helpful.

Here is an interesting article by John Piper that might help with your second question:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. It remains a mystery then. A future forum topic might be “Topics not covered in the Bible”.

Sincere regards,
Chris.

2 Likes