What is the "it" of John 12:28?

Hello Jacob,

In John 12:28 it says, “Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.” I know the context but still not sure what the ‘it’ is.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Lawrence,
Though I did not know the answer to your question as soon as I read it, I was able to go through some commentaries to understand what the ‘It’ actually meant. Here are the views.
Ellicott’s commentary- The words are without limit, extending to the whole past and to the whole future of God’s revelation of Himself to man. The only limit in the context is that this revelation is thought of as in the person of Christ. His words, His works. His life revealing the mercy and love and majesty of the Father, had to many hearts glorified the Father’s name. The wider future is at hand. The death and resurrection are to reveal God’s character, and therefore glorify the Father’s name to all the world.
Benson Commentary- I have glorified it by the miracles which thou hast already performed, and will continue to glorify it by other miracles yet to be performed. Accordingly, by the miraculous circumstances which accompanied our Lord’s crucifixion, but especially by his resurrection from the dead, by his ascension into heaven, and by the effusion of the Holy Ghost upon his apostles, the truth of Christ’s mission was demonstrated, and the glory of God greatly advanced.

I went through some other commentators too, but they all point to the same thing. The word it points to the person and work of Christ. In John’s Gospel it refers to all the miraculous deeds up to that point: the wedding at Cana (ch.2); the healing of the paralytic (ch.5); His walking on the sea (ch.6); the healing of the man who had been born blind (ch.9). But most most importantly perhaps, the raising of Lazarus, which had just occurred (11:1-46).
These are the actions of Jesus which was glorified by the Father and yet there are many more signs and wonders that Jesus would do, which finally culminates in His death and resurrection which the Father will glorify again.

2 Likes