What is the meaning of Mark 13:3—“Heaven and Earth will pass away but my words will never pass away”

What did Jesus mean in Mark 13 31.
“Heaven and Earth will pass away but my words will never pass away”

Hi, @Robert1. This is a good question.

As I understand it reading from a commentary, it seems the heaven is symbolized as the kingdoms of the world as to the sun, moon and stars. As for the earth in this verse I believe this is referring to the prophecy given in Daniel 7.

Daniel 7 is about the kingdoms of the world and how it ends up with Jesus having dominion over all the other kingdoms of the earth.

Thank you Jesse. I’m going to review Daniel.
The connections are so fascinating.

Good question @Robert1 - II Peter 3:10 and following describes this very thing - the heaven and earth passing away at the end of time - Revelation 20:11 and following adds more details.

This is because all of creation has been corrupted by the sins of fallen men and angels - Romans 8:21-23. But those passages also go on to say that God will make a new creation that is untainted by any sin.

The only thing that is not corrupted is the Word of God, and those souls which have been transformed by the word engraved on their hearts. The souls of the saints born by the incorruptible seed of the word are all that is redeemed from this creation and fit for the new creation to come.

I hope this helps you!

1 Like

Hello, @jlyons. I am glad you posted this because it brought up an inquiry I have about the last part of what you said.

At what “level” do you think the Bible is inerrant? Personally, I would have to say the original texts, but you might think differently and I’d love to hear your perspective if you do.

Yep - original texts!

Of course, the apostles used a translation called the Septuagint - so I don’t mean that people would have to learn Greek and Hebrew in order to read the word of God - which is actually what Muslims do teach about the Koran! But a good translation based on the original texts will continue to be used of God to reach souls in our day just as it was in the days of Christ and the apostles.

Hi Jesse

In this subject of inerrancy, some theologians adhere to the following understanding of inerrancy, which I agree with: the teachings of the Bible are inerrant not everything that is said in the Bible is actually teached by the Bible, for instance Job 4.7 "
7 “Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished?
Where were the upright ever destroyed? "

Is not what the Bible teaches is only what Eliphaz thought and therefore we should not expect that to be inerrant. Of course this is applicable to the autograph - the writings of the human author, and not to the copies or translations. The good news is that we have textual criticism and we can know with a great degree of certainty that what we have in our bibles today is 99.8% accurate and reflects with the biblical author wrote.
And we have great translators also, who study the text and make sure the correct message is reflected in our modern translation.

Wow Thank You. Great explanation God Bless

Thanks for your explanaition. I have one question. Where does the 99.8% accuracy rating come from?

It is actually non a exact #, I was more presenting a sense of accuracy, but basically anyone who would measure it, what will do is counting the # of variants in a verse, and assessing how significant the variant is, a variant could as simple as a misspelling, or putting a couple of words in a different order, changing a word for a very similar word etc. Most of this variants are not significant, so some scholars would say that less than 1% of the variants found are important or significant. Many of this variants are so insignificant that they translate the same no matter which variant do you choose.

Here is a quote from the Baker encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics.
Textual scholars Westcott and Hort estimated that only one in sixty of these variants has significance. This would leave a text 98.33 percent pure. Philip Schaff calculated that, of the 150,000 variants known in his day, only 400 changed the meaning of the passage, only fifty were of real significance, and not even one affected “an article of faith or a precept of duty which is not abundantly sustained by other and undoubted passages, or by the whole tenor of Scripture teaching” (Schaff, 177).

Geisler, N. L. (1999). New Testament Manuscripts. In Baker encyclopedia of Christian apologetics (p. 532). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.