What is your favorite argument to defend the Christian faith?

Hi Mark!

My question is what is the most convincing/effective argument that you have come across during your experience and could you explain how you would articulate that response.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!

4 Likes

Hi Danny –

Great question! My short answer is that it really depends on who I’m talking to. I think the nature of our task is to help each person move from where they are now, to where they need to be in relation to Christ. So if they already believe in God (but are not committed to Christ) and agree that the Bible is God’s Word, then the best argument might be a key Bible passage or two (like, for example, Romans 10:9-10) that will help clarify what God wants them to know about trusting in him.

Or maybe the person believes in God, but isn’t sure about Christ or the Bible. In that case the best argument might be to present some of the historical data for the resurrection of Jesus (e.g., his tomb was EMPTY; the risen Savior APPEARED to many of his followers; they wrote these things down in EARLY records; etc.).

Or perhaps the person you’re talking to isn’t sure God exists at all. You might want to start with some of the broader arguments from science (the cosmological argument, the arguments from design and fine tuning, the moral argument, etc.) as well as history, Scripture, etc. (FYI, I wrote a book in which I present 20 arguments for the Christian faith from all of the above categories and more … it’s called Confident Faith, in case that might be helpful to you.)

So my broad advice is to start by asking your friend a lot of questions about what he/she believes, why they believe it, whether they’ve always thought this way or had changes along the way, and so forth. Ask and then really listen. As you do this you’ll learn what they believe and what led them to believe as they do, and you’ll earn the right to finally share some of your own thoughts and beliefs with them.

Hope that helps —

3 Likes