What kind of blindness is meant in 2 Kings 6:18?

(Leona R. Smith) #1

The use of the word Blindness in the text—please help me understand how it is used in 2 Kings chapter 6:18 Is this literally “blindness, seeing nothing” or is it they only were blinded to what
God didn’t want them to see as in when we were unbelievers and were blinded to the word of God

(SeanO) #2

@leonasmith I believe it is physical blindness - though of what form I am uncertain. What prompted you to ask the question? Have you heard of other interpretations of this passage?

(Leona R. Smith) #3

We are studying this and yes I read Lawrence O Richards had written in his book “The Bible Readers Companion’ pg 247 “blindness” in this passage: “it isn’t that the Syrian soldiers saw nothing. What they saw was an illusion. Only when Elisha prayed that their eyes be opened were they able to see reality, and realize they were inside the walls of Samaria itself. What an image of lost mankind. Unless God opens ours eyes, we wander in a world of illusion. Don’t be deceived by the scoffers who claim they “know” while believers foolishly rely on “faith” the fact we see and they are blind.”

And after looking the word “blindness up in my Word Study dictionary (Baer Carpenter) the use of it in 2Kings 6:18 says it may be figurative as well as literal

(SeanO) #4

@leonasmith Thank you for the additional information. What rationale did Richards provide (or Baer Carpenter) for choosing to translate ‘blindness’ figuratively in this passage? I am not seeing any contextual clues in the passage to suggest it is meant figuratively, though I see how Richard is using it as an analogy for spiritual blindness.

(Leona R. Smith) #5

I’m not sure either as he gives none? I can understand the analogy for spiritual blindness but not sure why he would or the or Warren Baker, D.R.E. & Eugene Carpenter, Ph.D wordstudy dictionary would possibly think it could mean fuguratively

(SeanO) #6

@leonasmith In that case, my opinion would be to simply take it as literal blindness unless someone provides you with a good reason for doing otherwise in the context of that passage. I cannot see any good reason to take it figuratively, since it is in a passage that is clearly recounting a historical narrative and it is also clear that Elijah has to lead the guards because they are blind (though the nature of the blindness is uncertain).

(Leona R. Smith) #7

Thank you :blush:

(SeanO) #8

@leonasmith Indeed - Christ be with you! May the Lord of glory give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him.