What language will we speak in Heaven?

Hello!

I’m not really sure which category this should fall under, but I am curious to know what language will we speak in Heaven? Is this a language we have never heard of before?

Also, did Adam and Eve and their descendants speak this “heavenly language” before the Tower of Babel incident?

A bit random, but this has sparked my interest!

Thanks!

5 Likes

Good question @OJMCKEE - I have heard people use Acts 26:14 to say that the language of heaven will be Hebrew, but I’m not sure that’s a valid leap.

To be honest, I lean toward the view that there is no heavenly tongue for this reason:

Language is a cumbersome way of communicating - very inadequate in many ways - so easy to be misunderstood, so hard to find words to express your true meaning, your true feelings - groanings which cannot be uttered.

But in a world where we cannot see each other mind to mind and soul to soul, it’s about the best we can do.

But in the world where all our imperfections are passed away and we are not embarrassed for our hearts to be naked before one another, where the body of Christ is as One as Christ and the Father are One (John 17:11), it may be that we will know as perfectly as we are known - and such primitive things as “words” won’t really be necessary.

Jesus knew men’s hearts, and in the resurrection, we will be like Him!

3 Likes

What an interesting question! I like it :grinning:. I have no idea about the language used at the start of creation or in heaven. However, I am considering how Christ is called the Word, which makes me suspect words are very important to God. We see in Genesis how God spoke, and creation happened. And after each point of creation, we are given the words: “and God said…” I believe this shows us how God loves to use words and language. In response to @jlyons very interesting suggestion, I fully acknowledge how words and their meanings can be misinterpreted. However, rather than using this is a reason to not have language at all, I’d suggest that the use of language in heaven would still be there, but we won’t be fallible humans who get offended easily, self pity or take things the wrong way. The pitfalls of using language will be removed.

The other thing that comes to mind is how now we can speak in tongues. I know that many people who speak in tongues will speak with different sounding ‘languages’. This, to my knowledge, is the only time in our walk with God that our mind is bypassed. 1 Corinthians 14 explores this idea, that speaking in tongues only edifies ourselves because no one else can understand unless they’re given an interpretation. However, maybe this will be different in heaven? Is the use of tongues on Earth a foretaste of how we might communicate with God in eternity? It’s all speculation of course, but rather fun to consider :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like