What makes it hard to have a conversation about Jesus?

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends, @Interested_in_Evangelism,

Let’s encourage one another by sharing stories and insights about what makes it hard for us to have a conversation about Jesus.

I’m not asking about the other person, but rather, prompting a self-examination of our own hearts and lives.

I’ll start - one of my main challenges is busyness. If I’m rushing to get things done, then I don’t have adequate time for people and relationships to develop.

14 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@CarsonWeitnauer I can second you on that one. Life is just so fast paced. Part of sharing Jesus is sharing life and it requires a lot of wisdom and intentionality to invest deeply in that way.

10 Likes
(Sieglinde) #3

Wondering how and when to bring it up and wondering if I’m forcing a conversation because I always want to talk about Him.

9 Likes
(Joseph Riggs) #4

I have shared the gospel with friends before, and I even was active in bringing them to church on Wednesday nights. They did accept Christ and I could tell they deeply wanted a relationship with the Lord. It’s been several years and many of them have moved away or joined sports that take place on chruch nights. I keep in touch, and I’ve found that they are not living much of a godly life anymore. It’s kinda hard to share the gospel/ encourage when they have wandered away from the faith.

6 Likes
(Anitta Trotter) #5

Here’s a quote from Mere Christianity (C.S.Lewis). I came across it again last night, just love this concept. Maybe you can find something in it to make into a conversation starter.

God made us : invented us as a man invents an engine . A car is made to run on petrol , and it would not run properly on anything else . Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself . He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn , or the food our spirits were designed to feed on . There is no other . That is why it is just no good asking God to make us happy in our own way without bothering about religion . God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself , because it is not there . There is no such thing .

3 Likes
(Anitta Trotter) #6

And being able to drop those pearls of wisdom in 20 second sound bytes – so many us tune out without a fast “hit”. (Have we been educated into not thinking?)

2 Likes
(SeanO) #7

@Anitta I agree it is difficult in our age to find folks willing to take the time to think deeply about a topic - especially philosophy or religion. I think it is even harder because of the polarization in our culture - people tend to avoid these topics unless they believe you are already in agreement with them. But if you are already in agreement it is no longer a dialogue - it is simply an echo chamber that reconfirms what you already believe. I think engaging in meaningful dialogue is becoming a lost art. We are too distracted and too easily offended.

5 Likes
(Cameron Kufner) #8

I would say fear is the big one for me. Fear of being rejected, fear of looking foolish, fear of not being properly ready for any objection, fear of “blowing it”, fear of compromise, I’m sure you get my point by now. I hope I’m not the only one who struggles with this. I think I, but not just myself, overcomplicate it. Just my thoughts on it.

10 Likes
(Lakshmi Mehta) #9

My biggest hurdles are past failures and resistance that I have experienced. It takes obedience in faith to continue to hope, pray, keep joy while sharing the good news. Often the feelings don’t cooperate with the faith and words God has spoken in His word. But as Jesus told us to, may we speak his word boldly. Matt 10:27-32 “27 Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops…32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.” An encouragement I look to is Acts 28 where Paul though he experienced much hindrance with Jews, God did finally open doors for the gospel to bear fruit among the gentiles. There is always going to be all kinds of soil to sow God’s word into both good and rocky.

6 Likes
(Anitta Trotter) #10

@SeanO
Thank you for your refreshing, honest and perceptive response. We have been discarded by shockingly many younger people (under 50 crowd) as being irrelevant because we do not tweet or snapchat and because our generation is responsible for all the ills of the world. (Not sure how old they think we are!)

4 Likes
(Sieglinde) #11

You are not the only one. Thank you for your honesty❤️

3 Likes
(Billy Ang) #12

I want to talk about Jesus everyday too, but it’s really hard especially in the marketplace.

I’m finally received Christ last year as I’m going through the hardest trial in my life (He will bring you back, one way or the other)

As I’m going through separation/divorce,

My only free-for-all praises for Jesus and the gospel is to:
my 6yo Adam and 3yo Sarah!

3 Likes
(Heidi Mitchell) #13

@papadamsarah
First off, so sorry for this trial you’re facing…I can only imagine the heartache you’re facing.
It is so encouraging to hear that you’ve become a follower of Christ in the midst of it all.
I know, in my experience, it’s been in times of greatest hurt and pain that God has given me wisdom to speak truth to situations and people later in life.
God won’t waste your pain. You’ll gradually see Him using it for something good.
Prayers for you as you navigate things with your sweet babies…it sure sounds like they have an amazing dad to love, care, and reassure them. And now, as a Believer, you’ll have so much hope to offer them.
Prayers too, for those you’re around in the marketplace… that your Godly character might be all that is necessary to spark a conversation.
Be encouraged, Billy : )

4 Likes
(Billy Ang) #14

Amen and Amen!

Glory to Abba, our Lord Jesus and The Holy Spirit.

I was downloaded with so much wisdom, I know He has a plan for me,
And He has revealed time & time again (but in accordance to His timing) miracles (non-believers call it chance/luck),
That I can no longer turn my back away.

So whilst I was turbocharged and “trying” to telling my childhood mates about Jesus…

I then truly understand how hard it is to carry the cross and how Jesus suffered during his 33 years , doing “His Father’s will”

2 Likes
(Sam Shinabarger) #15

Yes- exactly my thoughts as well.

2 Likes
(Lynne) #16

Cam,
I agree with you on fearing that I will be inadequate in trying to talk about Jesus. It also seems difficult to just start interjecting a discussion about God without some kind of intro or interest from the other person.
But I also think that we make it too hard on ourselves. Knowing the Bible and what Jesus taught is a life-long learning experience and none of us can know it all. As for me I tend to think I need to have a deep discussion with a nonbeliever in order to be credible . I think that simply showing Christian love to others, all others, is a way of showing them Jesus. That in itself may open up an opportunity to share. Jesus met people’s physical needs first and then met them where they were spiritually.
Our world has become so divided both religiously and politically that discussions on either topic almost become either an argument or a shut down completely. Relying on the Holy Spirit, who dwells in me, to guide me in what to say and when to say anything prompts me. . Actions sometimes speak louder than words.
Let them know we are Christians by our love.

5 Likes
(Sieglinde) #17

Bless your soul. We will lift you up in prayer :pray:t3:

1 Like
(Billy Ang) #18

Amen!
@sig thank you!

(LeRoy) #19

I like the subject matter here, and my thought here is, are we talking to a group or individual about the true’s of Jesus Christ. One on one in a dialogue to a person brings out meany more questions why Jesus is the way the truth and the life.
As he said John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Thus in turn letting the holy spirit work in hearts and minds of men.
Thank you for letting me chat

1 Like