What part part of the bible best describes the state of the world right now? I would say days of Noah what do you think?

After reading in Genesis 6 today, I really think it describes where the world is at right now. We are a a point in history that seems to be creating a wrong is right and right is wrong away of thinking. With everything that has happened since the beginning to 2020 it has made me personally step back and really take to good hard look at where we stand and what we support as a family and is it align with Gods word or not.

2 Likes

Jamie,

I think you are wise to take a moment to consider where you stand and what you support. In times of struggle and challenge we see so many grow discouraged and walk away from the faith community. In times of prosperity, we see people drift away from core beliefs in less obvious, but equally destructive ways.

I agree with you. The times we live in look very much like the days of Noah. But I would also say they look like the time of Cain and Abel. Jealousy and pridefulness provoking murder. Like the time when the Israelites were in the wilderness and had just seen God part the waters and save them from Egypt; when in 40 short days, they abandoned Him to make their own god. Like the time of Ahab and Jezebel when they persecuted and killed the prophets of God. Like the time of Jehoikim, just one generation after the rule of Josiah, a righteous king who honored and served the Lord faithfully.

While there have been periods of time in the story of man when he has humbled himself and genuinely sought and served God, the sinfulness of our hearts sinks to the level of its depravity all too swiftly in the absence and frequently even in the presence of the leadership of a godly man or woman. I think the state of the world has been pretty much in the same condition ever since the fall.

As I’ve typed this, praise and thanksgiving and worship rises up in my heart for our God, who has saved us from the terrible prospect of being trapped in such a world for all eternity. We are blessed beyond measure by the immeasurable power of His grace and kindness. Thank you, Jamie, for the very serious question that reminded me so swiftly of the Lord who saves and the hope that we have! Praying this marvelous reality compels us all today, as the opportunity arises, to let someone else know the good news.

So I strongly affirm your recognition of the need to exam ourselves in light of the word of God. It is insufficient to rely on the culture around us to shape our walk with the Lord; we must seek to understand and to walk in the way of Lord one by one; Lord willing in the company of other believers.

I once heard someone describe the walk of a Christian as someone paddling a canoe upriver. Unless you are intentionally steering and paddling upstream, the river will 100% carry you downstream if you do nothing.

Woe to those who draw sin along with chords of deceit, and wickedness as with cart ropes, to those who say let God hurry, let Him hasten His work so we may see. Let it approach, let the plan of the Holy One of Israel come so we may know it. Woe to those who call good evil and evil good. Who put darkness for light and light for darkness. Who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks. Who acquit the guilty for a bribe and deny justice to the innocent. Therefore as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flower blow away like dust. For they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 5:18-24

Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered Him punished by God, stricken by Him, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:4-6

3 Likes

Hi Jamie. I would agree with your assessment of the days we are in. And I agree with KCB in that we are not necessarily seeing anything new that humanity has not already seen since mankind rebelled against God. However, I do believe there is something different about these days we are living in. I also would agree with KCB in your thinking after reading of Noah to first examine yourself and your family. That is exactly the response a heart yielded to the Holy Spirit would have. There was a purpose to you having read the story of Noah at this time. There is a purpose to your thoughts and pondering of the times and days we are in. There is a purpose to you being lead to examine your life. There is a purpose for the way you see our world today. God has a perfect intentional purpose for your life today and the days that lay ahead for you. There are people in your life that are there on purpose because of your purpose. Be encouraged as you have encouraged me with the thoughts you have shared with us here.

2 Likes