What questions should I be asking?

Hi everyone, in all honesty I have been racking my brain and can’t come up with a good question regarding my daily evangelism. I think this is one of those cases where I don’t know what I don’t know, so here goes. What question should I be asking?

3 Likes

Well thats you’re question right there I think. You can choose a topic and just read responses and look the materials in the responses and then form questions from there. Sometimes that’s what I do. Or you could start at the beginning of the Bible and do a study and then as you go along ask questions.

2 Likes

Ha! I appreciate the honesty, @rpage. :smile: I often don’t walk around with questions, but I find that the more I try to answer other people’s questions, the more questions I then find raised for myself…which is why this forum exists: to wrestle together. Like @Luna suggested, find something you like and begin to dig deeper…maybe ask some why or how questions…that’s usually where I get stuck!

3 Likes

Thanks, I will :smiley:.

1 Like

Rodney,

Here is a good question to ask … How is Jesus the answer to my current problem?

This is a helpful tool used in bible study and is referred to as the application portion of a person’s bible study (observation, interpretation, & application). I have found that when I look through the lens of Christ that my current problems or troubles or hardships seem to change in their severity and they all the sudden become less and less as He becomes more and more.

Here is an example: Let’s say I’m worried about losing my job. What I’m really worried about is the loss of money (who’ll provide?) and security (who’ll take care of me?) and perhaps the prestige of my job or of the office I held (pride). Isn’t Jesus the answer to all these concerns? How far would I have to read in the gospels to find something about His provision (Matt. 6:33 or Matt. 7:11) or His care (Parable of the Lost Sheep) or His ability to change my prideful heart (John 3:3), not very far.

I hope this is helpful to you and have a wonderful day!

Mark

4 Likes

Ty @KMac that is exactly what I was thinking. I don’t walk around with questions about how to witness, or even which apologetic to use because the Holy Spirit always helps in the moment. I will begin to dig a little deeper here and look forward to being challenged.
Blessings
Rod

2 Likes

@rpage, do you have a burden for specific people? My questions about evangelism often come from the questions I know my friends are asking.

Are your friends primarily atheists, members of a different religion, or nominal Christians who don’t understand that salvation is a free gift to all who trust in Christ’s death for their sins (Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4)?

Is your ministry primarily with people of a certain age group or socioeconomic status? We never want to stereotype, but we can often find articles about the questions certain groups are generally asking about God.

I love @Parkeri1313’s suggestion of asking, “How is Jesus the answer to my current problem?” As I look at the areas where I need to grow and the areas where my friends are struggling or hurting, I start asking questions about how God meets these needs and how I can minister God’s love and grace in people’s need.

I heard a story once about a street preacher who kept saying, “Jesus is the answer.” Someone finally replied, “I know Jesus is the answer, but what is the question?” God laid it on my recently that I need to be more sensitive to people’s questions, especially when I’m sharing the gospel in Sunday school. I can give a clear gospel presentation, but if I don’t connect it to the questions my students are asking, they won’t connect it to their lives. Thank you for asking about the questions.

4 Likes

@Jennifer_Wilkinson ty for your response, the answer is no to all of the questions but I’m glad that you asked them because as I read through them and thought no to each one it caused me to think of where I need to grow. More to come breaks over🤗

1 Like

Hi Rodney @rpage.
I checked your intro and see you have been studying apologetics and felt led to come to RZIM. Connect is a great place to come to see all kinds of questions that are asked and answered. You don’t have to be the one asking the questions. Although, as you read the Bible, you will find yourself asking, “What did that verse mean?” or, “Why did ____say that?” You can pose those questions to the forum and see what answers you get. Or, you might understand a passage but throw it out to see if others understand it the same way.
The great part about Daily Evangelism, though, is you can search for peoples’ questions and answer the ones you feel led to or that you have knowledge about. You don’t have to ask questions right off the bat.
If you haven’t taken any of the RZIM Academy classes, starting with the required Core Module, I can assure you that you will come away with lots of questions to get you started.
I look forward to hearing what you have to post.

2 Likes

@sgewehr thank you so much for that answer I do plan on taking the core modules I just have to put a few things in order first but in the meantime I am enjoying the interaction.

@Jennifer_Wilkinson Ok I’m back. I find that some of the philosophical principals that I have been studying are hard for me to put into every day terminology, retaining and being able to rely it in it’s entirety.

2 Likes

@rpage, I love that fact that you could say no to all my questions. That means you have a broad, diverse ministry. Exciting!

I agree it’s incredibly difficult to put some philosophical principles into everyday terminology. That could create an interesting question. If you read or hear a philosophical statement that you can’t get into easy words, you could post it on Connect and ask how other people would explain it. I’d love to know what concepts you’re working through. I dabble in philosophy, but that’s about all I can say. Dabble. :slight_smile:

@Jennifer_Wilkinson
Ok here is one I’ve been working on. We know that circular reasoning is not right you can’t use the principle of induction to prove the principle of induction that’s begging the question. But everyone who argues/ reasons (with gentleness and respect) for a system of belief, truth, will ultimately argue/reason for their ultimate authority. For example we don’t say the Bible is true because the Bible says it’s true, that’s circular reasoning. but in a broader circle it is God’s transcendent revelation that gives meaning and context to reality, knowledge and ethics and so when we say" that without God we can’t make sense of anything at all", that would also include his transcendent revelation (the scriptures). So when we argue/reason for the existence of God using the scriptures as the authority, that is technically reasoning in a circle but a different broader kind of circle than what is normally thought of because there’s nothing beyond God himself and his word that can be appealed to as a greater authority that would validate him . so the question is this. How do we on a street level explain the concept that arguing/reasoning for God by what he has revealed is begging the question(reasoning in a circle) in the correct way ?

1 Like

Wow! That is a challenging concept to get into everyday language, and you’ll need someone more skilled than I am to tackle it. Thankfully, Connect is a great place to post questions and get input from people who really know philosophy.

I found @KMac’s post “How can I get quality replies to my questions?” very helpful as I’ve started posting questions here. She has great ideas for crafting questions to get good answers.

1 Like

@KMac, can you point me in the right direction for help with the previous post?
Here is a copy. *

Get Engaged:

Like 10 Posts

You’ve read 388 of 100 posts

Invite 5 Friends

What questions should I be asking?

Daily Evangelism

/

rpageRodney v Page

15d

Hi everyone, in all honesty I have been racking my brain and can’t come up with a good question regarding my daily evangelism. I think this is one of those cases where I don’t know what I don’t know, so here goes. What question should I be asking?

• created

15d

• [

last reply

](What questions should I be asking?)

20m

replies

Luna┏(・o・)┛♪┗ (・o・) ┓♪(┌・。・)┌ヘ(^_^ヘ)

15d

Well thats you’re question right there I think. You can choose a topic and just read responses and look the materials in the responses and then form questions from there. Sometimes that’s what I do. Or you could start at the beginning of the Bible and do a study and then as you go along ask questions.

KMacKathleenRZIM Connect Moderator

14d

Ha! I appreciate the honesty, @rpage. :smile: I often don’t walk around with questions, but I find that the more I try to answer other people’s questions, the more questions I then find raised for myself…which is why this forum exists: to wrestle together. Like @Luna suggested, find something you like and begin to dig deeper…maybe ask some why or how questions…that’s usually where I get stuck!

rpageRodney v Page

10d

@Jennifer_Wilkinson ty for your response, the answer is no to all of the questions but I’m glad that you asked them because as I read through them and thought no to each one it caused me to think of where I need to grow. More to come breaks over🤗

sgewehrSharon GewehrAcademy Alum

10d

Hi Rodney @rpage.
I checked your intro and see you have been studying apologetics and felt led to come to RZIM. Connect is a great place to come to see all kinds of questions that are asked and answered. You don’t have to be the one asking the questions. Although, as you read the Bible, you will find yourself asking, “What did that verse mean?” or, “Why did ____say that?” You can pose those questions to the forum and see what answers you get. Or, you might understand a passage but throw it out to see if others understand it the same way.
The great part about Daily Evangelism, though, is you can search for peoples’ questions and answer the ones you feel led to or that you have knowledge about. You don’t have to ask questions right off the bat.
If you haven’t taken any of the RZIM Academy classes, starting with the required Core Module, I can assure you that you will come away with lots of questions to get you started.
I look forward to hearing what you have to post.

rpageRodney v Page

10d

@sgewehr thank you so much for that answer I do plan on taking the core modules I just have to put a few things in order first but in the meantime I am enjoying the interaction.

rpageRodney v Page

10d

@Jennifer_Wilkinson Ok I’m back. I find that some of the philosophical principals that I have been studying are hard for me to put into every day terminology, retaining and being able to rely it in it’s entirety.

9 DAYS LATER

Jennifer_WilkinsonAcademy Alum

1d

@rpage, I love that fact that you could say no to all my questions. That means you have a broad, diverse ministry. Exciting!

I agree it’s incredibly difficult to put some philosophical principles into everyday terminology. That could create an interesting question. If you read or hear a philosophical statement that you can’t get into easy words, you could post it on Connect and ask how other people would explain it. I’d love to know what concepts you’re working through. I dabble in philosophy, but that’s about all I can say. Dabble. :slight_smile:

rpageRodney v Page

22h

@Jennifer_Wilkinson
Ok here is one I’ve been working on. We know that circular reasoning is not right you can’t use the principle of induction to prove the principle of induction that’s begging the question. But everyone who argues/ reasons (with gentleness and respect) for a system of belief, truth, will ultimately argue/reason for their ultimate authority. For example we don’t say the Bible is true because the Bible says it’s true, that’s circular reasoning. but in a broader circle it is God’s transcendent revelation that gives meaning and context to reality, knowledge and ethics and so when we say" that without God we can’t make sense of anything at all", that would also include his transcendent revelation (the scriptures). So when we argue/reason for the existence of God using the scriptures as the authority, that is technically reasoning in a circle but a different broader kind of circle than what is normally thought of because there’s nothing beyond God himself and his word that can be appealed to as a greater authority that would validate him . so the question is this. How do we on a street level explain the concept that arguing/reasoning for God by what he has revealed is begging the question(reasoning in a circle) in the correct way ?