Support RZIM Connect

What response I'm I to give this question: Why is the world so unfair to me?

My 11 year old brother asked this question this morning after our morning devotion (Prayer and bible study). He asked, ‘why is the World so unfair to me?’ His emphases was on the matter of his personal desires, that whatever he desires doesn’t always happen as he desires it to be, only a few things do and quite less frequently. Even though he prays ‘a million times’, as he puts it. I tried responding by referring to the fall of man in the garden, and how creation fell with man into corruption, but I don’t think I struck the right cord though. So please I would love the family to help me with a good response that will help him. (He still fully believes and trusts God, but he wonders why things don’t go the way he would love them to go, even though he prays; in fact he even prayed more earnestly after my conversation with him. But I could still feel him unsatisfied with my response).

Thank you guys as I anticipate your responses :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

John 15:18-20

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

2 Likes

Isaiah 55:8-11

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

2 Likes

Tell him the stories of Joseph the Dreamer and of Mordecai and Ruth, these are classic examples of how God uses our life’s disappointments to the advancement of His plans and purpose.

4 Likes

@Bassey That’s a great question from your little bro :slight_smile: I can totally understand his feelings. This world is hard. Maybe you could share a story from your own life with him where God did not answer a prayer for something, but you found joy and strength in Christ regardless? Below are some possible responses to his question.

• we can pray to God about every single need we have, but we must remember that Jesus is our greatest treasure. Whether we have a little or a lot, whether life is hard or easy, to know Jesus and be known by Him - that is everything. (Philippians 4:12-13)
  • Jesus never said that life would be fair. In fact, Jesus said that this world is a difficult place to live, but we have hope because He has conquered the world. John 16:33 - “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
  • prayer is about much more than just asking God for things. Think of ACTS - Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. Prayer is all of these things. (explain each one) Let’s look at some of the apostle Paul’s prayers to understand what he prayed for… (Ephesians 3:14-19 is a good example) Prayer is about worshiping and thanking God, about asking to become more like Christ, and about shining God’s light in this world, as well as bringing our own cares to God.
  • Some things in life require hard work and wisdom if we want them - like a college degree or winning at a sport. Proverbs 4:7 says, “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.” The greatest wisdom is to fear God, but many things we want in life also require wisdom and hard work. That is how God created the world. We can pray for those things, but they do not come automatically and they are not guaranteed.

You may also find these threads helpful. May the Lord Jesus grant him understanding and wisdom as he grows in Christ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @SeanO, and @DCGotiza . I really love your responses and will follow suit as the Holy Spirit directs and of course, I’m sure He will. I’ll let you all know the outcome of my try out. I admire the links you shared @SeanO, they are really linked and enlightening. Thank you for them. I’m going through them.

God Bless You guys
Soli Deo gloria
Shalom ! :smiley:

4 Likes

@Bassey Look forward to hearing how it goes - may the Spirit of Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Bassey, That question is quite timely with reference to his age. He will need to learn that not every time would things be unfair or fair. Even the scripture makes it clear that weeping may last for the night but joy comes in the morning. Favor may be yours today and you may need to work hard to get what you want and it is the will of God. Nonetheless, he should continue in prayers, more especially to know God for himself first as @SeanO recommends.

Also, you now have to increase your intercession for him, to help him develop a heart that loves God irrespective of the circumstances and challenges that the world may bring. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Certainly @ettahalexis and welcome to the RZIM Family. Thanks a lot for the advice. I will pray for him.

I love this. you’ve reminded me of an important role I mustn’t neglect. Thank you.

1 Like

Bassey, It is wonderful that you are your brother are so close! And that you do devotions together. I am so encouraged by that. Maybe you can pray and ask God to remind you of stories in your own life that would be helpful to your brother. Many times I am greatly encouraged by the stories of God’s faithfulness in other people’s lives.
I hope the Lord strengthens your relationship with your brother and his relationship with the Lord.

3 Likes