What science questions are important to you?

I am a scientist in the Church and a Christian in science. What questions about science are important to you?

6 Likes

Hello @swamidass

Thank you for your initiative to open up your question.
Is this a question you want us to answer? Or are you asking from us a question for you to answer? Need some clarification though, but it’s okay, no worries.

The most important science question I have is, “how science can reasonably explain the metaphysical realities outside of it, like truth, purpose, and love?”

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I’m curious what questions about science that you and others here care about. So yes, I’m hoping you will answer.

I’m a scientist, and might give some answers if pressed, but I was mainly curious what you cared about. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @swamidass,

I think lots of questions in science are important! I think it’s amazing what science can tell us about our world and about the universe. So in a sense, all questions are important! For me personally, I have wrestled with just about every question imaginable related to human origins and the origin of life, and have come to the conclusion that we won’t ever have all the details. I would love to know how and when God created the universe, but I’m perfectly content (at least trying to be) with the uncertainty.

1 Like

Thank you so much for such a kind concern.

Let us make this discussion rollin’

• As a Christian, how you come up to the truth of gospel through science?
• How science back up Christianity?

Wanna know your answer.
Thank you so much!

3 Likes

What if science is consistent with Christianity, but it doesn’t really “back up” Christianity, except in some indirect ways?

1 Like

That’s great, especially if it encourages curiosity.

The key thing about science is that it does not give is a complete view of the world. It doesn’t really do metaphysics. If you keep that in mind, you’ll see shadows of truth, purpose, and love in science, but only shadows. The reality of these things extends beyond science, so it cannot give us a full account.

2 Likes

Hello Joshua:

I am so so glad that you got into this forum. Like you I have a deep interest in science. I have a masters degree in biochemistry. I listened to the discussion you had with Ed Himelblau on “What does it mean to be human” and I really appreciated what you had to say and the way you discussed the topic with him. I heard you say there that you believe in evolution meaning you believe in common descent and it is the data that drove you to accept evolution. I have a problem with the data supporting evolution and I hope you can answer some questions I have about it. My biggest problem with evolution is that the whole process from cell to man is an uphill process that goes against what we observe in nature where natural processes breaks things down. The whole question of entropy. Apart form that I have 5 questions that I ask evolutionists that I have not got a satisfactory answer to. So I am hoping you will be able to answer. Like you - as mentioned in your talk - I really want to know the truth wherever it may lead and I am truly open to what you have to say.

So let me start with my first question:

1.Why is it that out of perhaps millions of unique organs we have in living things we don’t have even one example of how any of them formed by a stepwise mechanism? As an example why don’t we have a series of organisms showing the evolution of say the neck of the giraffe. I can understand why a particular organ may not have it as the intermediates would have gone extinct but why is the case for every organ?

2 Likes

Answered here: How Did the Giraffe Get It's Neck?

Hi Harris, thanks for raising this question, and the ensuing discussion with Josh. I’m grateful to you for forging ahead. Like you I really want to understand how evolution actually works and have had trouble finding people with the knowledge and patience to help me. Unlike you I am perhaps more openly sceptical of evolution, not dogmatically, but rather because I’m bothered by the gaps. Many are probably just my own illiteracy, but I really want to get into a serious investigation on the topic and wondered if you would be able to recommend any accessible, non-patronising sources on the subject. I’ve just skimmed this conversation but will spend some dedicated time to following your discussion with Josh (so will pick up on those references you did mention), but in the mean time can you recommend the best ‘novice’s guide to understanding evolution for a sceptic’?

1 Like

Welcome Nicky to the forum. I hope you would get as much out of it as I have!

I am not sure where to begin in terms of resources. I have read books on the subject but they are dated. In addition to what I mentioned in the discussion with Joshua another book I found helpful was Creation-Evolution, The Controversy by R.L.Wysong. Although it is promoted as a balanced approach, giving both sides of the argument, it is not. It is written with a skeptical attitude toward evolution.

As far as current information there are plenty on the web. I consider a good source for the young earth position is The Institute of Creation Research. Their website is icr.org. They send a free monthly publication if you want to sign up for it. On the other side where they try to reconcile evolution with God’s creation is Biologos (biologos.com) founded by Dr. Francis Collins who was the head of the human genome project and the director of NIH. He has written a book called The Language of God.

2 Likes