What should Christians keep in mind as they engage with non-believers?

Hi @Cameron_McAllister , glad your are here. My question to you today is about evangelism. In today’s culture where people have a mutual respect for each others views and beliefs and are very particular in being defensive of their own worldviews, what are some of the things that a Christian needs to keep in mind as he engages with a non believer? For Instance as Christians yes we know that Jesus has commissioned the church to preach the gospel and make disciples. But in the current context how can one present the gospel to a non believer without offending them?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Thanks for the question. I think we need to bear Charles Taylor’s nuanced definition of secularism in mind. In Taylor’s estimation, secularism reduces all religions/worldviews to competing options, which are always contested. If you land on Christianity, you know that there’s a multitude of alternatives vying for your allegiance. With this in mind, we need to clearly communicate that if Christianity is understood as nothing more than an option, it hasn’t been properly understood. Christ simply doesn’t allow for such a neutral reading of His life, death, and resurrection; He says “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” We also need to assume widespread biblical illiteracy (even among Christians sadly), and proceed to give the Gospel in very clear terms. No tricks, no creative gimmicks, no special methodological approaches–we just need to use Scripture and begin at ground zero, and explain why Christ had come, show us how to live, and then die and rise again, and why this offers us the only legitimate hope for humanity.

1 Like