What to do when you want to take a conversation in a new direction

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Let’s say you are reading a great discussion that’s very focused on Question A. It is a very interesting conversation, but you want to reply and discuss Question B.

What’s the best way to start a conversation on Question B?

Instead of asking question B in a discussion on question A, start a new topic.

Here’s the best way:

To start a new topic while linking to an existing discussion, you can:

1. Click on the time stamp of the comment you want to reply to OR
  2. Scroll to the end of the discussion and click on the ‘Share’ button.

After clicking either the time stamp or the share button, you will see a link that says “+ new topic”.

Click “+ new topic” and you will start a new topic that already includes a link to the original topic at the start of your post! You will also place a link to this new conversation at the end of the original post that inspired your new discussion.

In this way, instead of creating rabbit trails, all jumbled together into one discussion, you can create new, focused conversations on RZIM Connect!

When you start to reply to a post but realize you're going off in a new direction
Ask RZIM Guidelines
Introduction: Cindy Lee
(Tim Ramey) #2

Carson, your input was so timely. Just the other day, we were discussing about Jesus being fully God and fully man. I didn’t want to interrupt the flow so I waited to take it a new direction. By the time I did, the subject was exhausted and I got no replies to my question.

I think we need to underscore this tool as I’ve so often wanted to reply, but the topic has taken a twist. Sometimes I reply under the last participant who related close to my question or the post somehow got plugged in the middle of the threads so that post can be buried. An example of that was a question that I had for Amy Orr-Ewing and it came out in the middle of the post so she never answered it.

Thanks so much for Carson,.