What was the first sin?

The woman is often blamed for sin entering the world because she was the first who went against God’s command not to eat the fruit on the tree of knowlede of good and evil. (Genesis 2:15) However, in the verse just before it, man was put in the Garden to work it and “take care” of it. “Take care” translates “samar”, same word translation used in Genesis 3:24 only it uses the word “guard” instead in reference to the cheribum that were placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden with a flaming sword.

Now I get that the physical act of sin caused the consequence. However, was it not a sin that the man who was supposed to be guarding the garden and who was WITH the woman (who was tricked and watched the whole thing go down) stood by? Was there not disobedience by passive inaction when he was supposed to be guarding the garden?

Jesus made it clear in the N.T that if you look lustfully at a woman, you have committed adultry in your heart and you are guilty. Does that same sin principle apply in the garden? The sin of inaction is still disobedience, no?

Just some of my thoughts and questions. Would love your input.

2 Likes

Well, actually the Bible says Adam was responsible for sin entering the world. There are some verses that use his position of authority to explain that through his actions we all became like him. They used his example to show that through Christ just like how we became like Adam we became like Christ. Here are two passages.

Romans 5:12-21
12 So then, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all people because all sinned – 13 for before the law was given, sin was in the world, but there is no accounting for sin when there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam until Moses even over those who did not sin in the same way that Adam (who is a type of the coming one) transgressed. 15 But the gracious gift is not like the transgression. For if the many died through the transgression of the one man, how much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one man Jesus Christ multiply to the many! 16 And the gift is not like the one who sinned. For judgment, resulting from the one transgression, led to condemnation, but the gracious gift from the many failures led to justification. 17 For if, by the transgression of the one man, death reigned through the one, how much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ!

18 Consequently, just as condemnation for all people came through one transgression, so too through the one righteous act came righteousness leading to life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of one man many will be made righteous. 20 Now the law came in so that the transgression may increase, but where sin increased, grace multiplied all the more, 21 so that just as sin reigned in death, so also grace will reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:21-22
21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead also came through a man. 22 For just as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

So everyone was held accountable for what they had done when they sinned against God in the garden. Some doctrines/people blame the woman more than they should while neglecting to see that sin entered the world through adam which I believe is because of the headship that God had given him. At the end of the day, both he and Eve knew that they were doing wrong and God is just and he did not blame one more than the other and that’s what’s most important. The fact we can trust God’s perfect justice is a very secure thing.

Here are some more sources on the topic. Hope this helps, God Bless :slight_smile:

Doctrine of Man, part 10: Man as Sinner

5 Likes

I think it can be viewed in both ways. The bible supports both sides. The woman is the lesser vessel in a family dynamic as sarah calls abraham Lord and so on. The man is the head of the family having more spiritual authority. However if you understand our loving Father it’s no joke how he always seems to treat the lesser vessels. So I think it would be wise as christian men to show the loving kindness to women. =D

1 Like

Thanks for reaponding, Luna!

Thanks, Andrew!

“For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:13-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

@SkylerJ The verse you posted in context is referring to Paul giving instructions to a church. Maybe I could understand what you are trying to say better if you were to explain a bit why you posted that passage. :blush:

1 Like

You said that Adam Committed the first sin but this passage tells us that the woman being the first to disobey the direct order was indeed the first to commit soon. The passage you quoted earlier is out of context. When he says by man came send it to the world it’s referring to “man” as in mankind

@SkylerJ Thanks for clarifying your earlier statement. I never said Adam committed the first sin. I said that he was responsible for sin coming into humanity because of his headship. If you read the rest of the passage, I’m assuming you mean the Romans passage, in verse 15 it will make sense where I am coming from.

15 But the gracious gift is not like the transgression. For if the many died through the transgression of the one man, how much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one man Jesus Christ multiply to the many! 16 And the gift is not like the one who sinned. For judgment, resulting from the one transgression, led to condemnation, but the gracious gift from the many failures led to justification. 17 For if, by the transgression of the one man, death reigned through the one, how much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ!

You see this passage is showing us just how through one man sin entered the world and how through another man Jesus who is the 2nd Adam grace and salvation has come. Both have headship. Both submitted to God but only Christ was successful.

I hope this cleared things up, God bless :slight_smile: