What would you say to someone who is struggling to find what their “calling” in life is?

Hi Clare!

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions! It means the world.

What would you say to someone who is struggling to find what they’re “calling” in life is?

1 Like

Dear Cody,

It’s a pleasure to be involved in the questions and debates at RZIM Connect. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your question. I have wrestled with this question myself through different seasons of life. It’s a tough one but here are some thoughts…

Given that I’m now an evangelist apologist, perhaps my answer is a bit biased… but I think that a person’s calling is rooted in the Great Commission: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matt 18:19 - 20). This disciple-making is at once bound up in the overt proclamation of the gospel to non-Christians alongside everything else that comes with helping others to grow as mature Christians eg. pastoring, fellowship, prayer/intercession, worship, charity, hospitality etc. In short, the church.

I think there is a danger of over-spiritualizing when it comes to ‘calling’, which can lead to spiritual paralysis. Sometimes we can be so caught up in knowing God’s calling for us that we actually end up doing nothing! Instead, I encourage having a confidence in the things and giftings you are naturally good at and using them to share the gospel and make disciples. For some this might be leading worship, singing (theologically rich!) songs. For others this might be owning a business and offering apprenticeships for young people, demonstrating ethical business/integrity or financially supporting a ministry. For others still, this might be using their academic field to challenge prevailing ideologies in philosophy or humanities or perhaps doing scientific research for human flourishing.

I would advise someone who is struggling with their calling to make a list of the things they do well and the things they are passionate about, whilst thinking and praying about how these can be used by God for the accomplishment of the Great Commission.

I hope this is helpful.
Best,
Clare

4 Likes

It was extremely helpful! Thank you! And I agree 100% that so many times we as believers way “over spiritualize” what our calling in life truly is. In reality, it’s way more simple and yet at the same time way more beautiful and meaningful than we think it is.

God bless!!

4 Likes