When do we go from evidence to faith?

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Continuing the discussion from When should we believe eyewitness testimony?:

Following up on Jennifer’s good point in another conversation, I wanted to ask:

1. When did your investigation of Christianity go from considering evidence to the moment of faith?
  2. In seeing others decide to follow Jesus, what was the turning point for them?

For me, the pattern I have often seen is:

1. Christianity could never be true.
  2. What I currently believe doesn’t make sense.
  3. Christianity has some good points.
  4. Christianity is quite interesting and plausible.
  5. Christianity looks to be true, but is God there?
  6. I want to follow Jesus.

(Jennifer Judson) #2

In my own life the “evidence” I saw was the light in the other youths in my youth group. We moved at least every other year. To get us plugged in to our new community we visited churches until we found one with a great children’s and youth program for us kids. When I was a freshman in High School, I realized that several of the kids in the youth group had “something” I did not have. In jr. high I had gone through confirmation class and been confirmed. I had grown up in the church. I even understood the concept of being born again. But what they had was different than what I had…and I wanted it…and I knew who could provide it. My prayer was, “whatever it is that they have, I want it Lord.” There had been a lifetime of seeds up to that moment, but it was where my salvation went from germination to taking root. So when they say that you may be the only Gospel that someone else reads, there is a great deal of truth to that.

I’ve shared this before, but my greatest Bible teacher said it takes two things in a person’s life to bring them to a decision for Christ. First, the recognition that they need a savior. Second, that that savior is Jesus. It requires both of those things. There are people who know they need a savior, but look for it in other people, drugs, lifestyle, exercise, etc. There are also people who know Jesus is the savior–they just never recognize that they need a savior. Many sit in pews every Sunday of their lives never seeing that critical application in their own life, worshipping a distant God rather than knowing a personal savior.

So for me, one of my questions is how do we connect with that part of a person that recognizes they need a savior? Where in their life are they willing to admit that being their own God is just not working? If we can get them to recognize the hole in their life, that unresolved and unsolvable place, then maybe we can successfully point them to Jesus. Or at least plant a seed for a later encounter to germinate.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #3

@CarsonWeitnauer

1. I could resonate with the pattern you put forward, since it’s something similar with my experience before coming to faith. I was firm in my atheism (though closeted), then I questioned what I believed. I sought for answers. I found Christianity attractive. Someone shared the gospel to me, then everything made sense.

2. Others who decided to follow Jesus had different stories as well. Others came to faith because of the love they received from other Christians. Some of them went to pain since they were envious of the joy of Christians they met. Some had problems and heard a Christian song on the radio, some were invited at a church and they felt as if the pastor was talking about them. What I found that seems to be similar is that they felt that they needed a savior.