When it comes to dealing with race and ethnicity in the church, rather than "color-blindness," would a better picture of treating people in love be that of James 2:1-4?

Hi Lisa,

I did listen to your podcast on Ask Away, and I agree that the church has not done a good job of dealing with race and ethnicity. I also agree that “color blindness” based on Colossians 3:11 doesn’t really solve the problem. Would a better picture of treating people in love be that of James 2:1-4?

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Thus, we are not to show favoritism. Therefore, as the church (and particularly from a white perspective,) are we to conclude that we are to see each person as they are, and reach out showing no partiality based on those aspects (social status, wealth, race, ethnicity, culture, ect) while still being sensitive to the aspects that exist, understanding that those aspects are part of who a person is? Is this a good way of approaching race and ethnicity; and if I am off the mark, what would be a better way?

5 Likes

Hey Rebecca,

Thank you for your question. I think James 2:1-4 is exactly how we should interact with one another. I think you are spot on.

3 Likes