When our journey brings us to impass

I’ve been slowly working my way through a BS in Biblical Studies and Theology at Liberty University for the past 5 years (part time student, full time job). This year I exhausted my student loans and due to finances, I just had to withdraw from the fall term that starts this coming monday. I know for a fact that God lead me to this school. I feel like the ground has crumbled out from beneath my feet. I am 15 or so classes from graduation. I feel defeated in a way I don’t think I have ever felt before. I don’t doubt God, His provision or His wisdom. But, I am baffled and I feel lost. It is my hope that I can return in the spring semester. But, it is hard to be able to know if that will be possible or not at this moment. How do I move forward in life when I feel like I am figuratively hanging from a cliff by the tips of my fingers of only one hand?

8 Likes

I don’t have the answer you want to hear I’m sure, but as young Christian, please share what you have learned with everyone that wants to listen. Keep praying and let God’s plan for you work. We never know what that might be. God bless you and may he put your worried heart at ease!

5 Likes

@BenIAm. What comes to me is that it is vital to release the ideals behind the timing. Particularly, when you know GOD has sent you to Liberty. What takes our breath away can be lodged in our disappointment that the course or our plans have deviated. I would release the idea of timing and trust that when you return, you will be better prepared all-around. Often I find when I release my assumptions GOD moves with lightening speed. Resolving issues that have seemed insurmountable to me. Remember deferred is not deterred. Stay the course of your path. I stand with you in prayer for GOD’s best and His peace.

7 Likes

I believe the grand Weaver allows us to endure our disappointments. I see it is unfortunate as I am sure you do as well given your desires and hopes. But when roadblocks are put in our way sometimes the detour is something we can look at in retrospect as pure joy. I pray that doors will be open for your education and experiences. Thank you for your transparency and posting your concerns and valid laments.

7 Likes

Good day Benlam(?) I saw another post in another forum along the lines of your thinking but I can’t find it now. The best that I can offer at this stage is ‘ASK RZIM ask Alecia Woods’. Part of her post is below fyr.

"Check out this paragraph from R. C. Sproul:
“The dark night of the soul. This phenomenon describes a malady that the greatest of Christians have suffered from time to time. It was the malady that provoked David to soak his pillow with tears. It was the malady that earned for Jeremiah the sobriquet, “The Weeping Prophet.” It was the malady that so afflicted Martin Luther that his melancholy threatened to destroy him. This is no ordinary fit of depression, but it is a depression that is linked to a crisis of faith, a crisis that comes when one senses the absence of God or gives rise to a feeling of abandonment by Him”. (1)

I show you that quote by Sproul to say that what you are experiencing is actually normal for a Christian. And I also must tell you that we often go through these periods as Christians more than once in our lives. We feel like God is far. That He doesn’t care. That He is not listening. That He has abandoned us. His silence can almost feel like death- like a big, long and dark spiritual death. …"

Stay blessed
Bill

3 Likes

Oh, man Ben. My heart goes out to you! That is an incredibly disheartening experience. (I, too, am a student, and know some of the woes of funding!)

All I would encourage you to do is be entirely honest with both God and yourself. Pour out your grief (and frustration) to Him. Inquire about how you are to proceed…are there any doors you need to push or is this a waiting thing? He can be up to so many things.

But, I suppose with a full-time job, you have something day-to-day that occupies the majority of your time. Maybe in the meantime, do some personal study on your own. Maybe find some of the recommended readings of the classes you have left and get ahead with reading?? Learning doesn’t have to stop. :nerd_face:

He’s got you…despite what it may feel like! Praying, brother.

3 Likes

BenIAm, I had a setback too and had to think through some issues. For me, where I settled is that I had enough to chew on to help me become more like Christ for then and that the freed time was necessary for me to grow in being, not in knowledge. Look around you and see, if you can perceive any way He might want you to engage with what you’ve already learned and become more like Him through it. An academic setback isn’t a setback, if we come to know Him and be like Him more because of it and through it.

Love u bro! Praying for you!!!

kevin

3 Likes

Thank you. It means a lot to me that you really care!

1 Like

The need to handle twisted and rocky terrain when your vehicle is set up to navigate the conventional roadway… That is an impass for sure. But God is willing and able to show you what’s next in his perfect timing.

My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He can release my feet from the snair (psalm 25:15)

Circumstances and desired outcomes may show a loosing “score”. But winning the inner challenge to honor God is the real challenge that is above and beyond what the “scoreboard” shows, be it a winning or loosing score. (Psalm 42 & 43)

Winning the inner game of honoring God is what kept Joseph’s hands and feet on point. The folks of Hebrews 11 shared the same inner “score”… honoring God stood above the confusion of their circumstances and desired outcomes.

As a matter of effectiveness, holding the value of honoring God above the value of realizing your desired outcome will provide the solid footing you’re seeking… and the grip needed to grasp confidence moving forward. and to maintain an excellent spirit moving forward.

You figuratively express your situation in terms of hands and feet moving forward. That reminds me of John Wooden (Legendary basket ball coach) and how he consistently coached his teams to success. The principals behind his leadership reveal something both practical and profound. I hope you’ll be able to apply theses same useful and encouraging thoughts to the challenge of honoring God when the signs unexpectedly say “road closed” and when “game” is not going as planned.

2 Likes