When Truth and Beauty Defeat Self-Isolation

Andy Moore takes us behind the locked doors of the upper room where a group is self-isolating against the outside world. Turning upside down the philosophy of Albert Camus’ The Plague, Andy invites us to create an entirely different frame of reference.

And many of us can relate to this as we look at the world today with so many questions, and so much skepticism about where God can possibly be in our experiences. But Jesus comes, just like He promised. And He says, “Peace be with you!”

Then something surprising, “As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” In other words, there is a hurting world out there, and I want you to follow me in love for it. So the disciples are faced with a huge question, “do they trust Jesus?”

God has not stayed in heaven or sat in silence. He has come in the person of Jesus Christ to reveal most clearly who He is. At the cross, He identified with the fullest depths of human suffering and in His resurrection Jesus fundamentally and forever changed the reality we live in.

Make it personal:

• How does this global pandemic tempt you to feel hopeless? To feel that we are set-up for “never ending defeat”?

• What difference does it make to your decisions - today - that God’s kingdom is an everlasting kingdom?

3 Likes

Why is that, hope is eternal?
That is a valid question for many even though they dont have hope through Christ. Hope, faith is a cornerstone in Christianity. In the world it is temporary. Hope is found in money, the lottery, a job, a relationship. Those Hope’s run out become exhausted.

On another post I shared this as a question?

Question, what if my obedience causes someone to stumble.
Mike

2 Likes

Excellent and timely message. Just some reflections on the questions.

I think the pandemic reveals the helplessness and fragility of man. We are not fully in control, either on an individual level or mankind as a whole. The scope of the problem makes our own efforts seem worthless. For example, here in the US, the government is issuing trillions of dollars in relief and still it is not enough. Any resources the average individual can invest seem quite worthless in comparison.

However, we need to remember that God sees all, and, ultimately, He is the great Savior and Healer, not ourselves or any human being. God can use our little acts of good in great ways. We must also remember to love the individual. We may only be able to make a difference in the one of the suffering billion, but does not that one matter? Makes me recall the parable of the single lost sheep.

2 Likes

Hi Mike, I hope I am understanding you correctly - what if your decision to obey God is the basis for someone else choosing to disobey God? I think we would continue to obey God - what else can we do?

However, we keep in mind the wisdom of Romans 14:13-23, and “pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.” If there is a way that we can humble ourselves and encourage another to follow Christ with us, then we both have cause to rejoice!

Yes, the single lost sheep matters so dearly to God! Imagine the difference if each Christian reached out to just one lost sheep. The cumulative reach of God’s people in beyond our ability to calculate if we each love one person and invite them to know Christ.