Where did Cain and Abel get their wives from?

I was recently asked a couple of questions by a new believer, that I am currently working with and going through the gospel according to the Apostle John. He is asking for his bride who is possibly questioning the new interest in her husband desire for the bible.

1. Where did Cain and Abel get their wives from?
  2. The Nephtalim, where did they come from and the timeline associated to the beginning.
3 Likes

Hey Mark - there is a really good thread written by a frequent poster which really adresses this topic well. Check it out. God-bless you and your path. Who did Cain marry?

2 Likes

@BeEncourage Regarding the nephilim, I would say the following:

1. The word “nephilim” seems to be a way of speaking about mighty men or giants generally rather than a reference to a specific lineage of men / being

2. Most likely, what we have in Genesis 6, which is about judgment on mankind, is the godly line of Seth intermarrying with the line of Cain, whose descendants had become violent and corrupt, resulting in the corruption of all mankind other than Noah

This observation is parenthetical, explaining that there were Nephilim even after the flood. If all humankind, with the exception of Noah and his family, died in the flood, it is difficult to understand how the postdiluvian Nephilim could be related to the antediluvian Nephilim or how the Anakites of Canaan could be their descendants (see [Num 13:33](javascript:{})). It is likely that the term Nephilim refers generally to “giants” (see HALOT 709 s.v. נְפִילִים) without implying any ethnic connection between the antediluvian and postdiluvian varieties.

Sons of God in Genesis 6

The term ‘sons of God’ also appears in Genesis 6 and has three possible interpretation:

1 - descendants of the line of Seth
2 - angelic beings
3 - tyrants

Personally, I find the line of Seth argument the most reasonable, though I can see why people might think they were divine beings (the heavenly council in Job is called the ‘sons of God’).

http://www.equip.org/article/who-were-the-sons-of-god-in-genesis-6/

When we consider the context of this text we can better understand what Moses is explaining. In previous chapters we are given a glimpse of two competing lines, the godly line of Seth and the wicked line of Cain. Having established the antithesis in the garden, after affirming that there would be a constant struggle between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent we are given snapshot pictures of each of these armies. We see Seth’s line about the business of exercising dominion, in submission to the Lord. We see Cain’s line dishonoring the law of God and making names for themselves. But the future is not mere co-existence between the two lines. The drama builds toward the great crisis of Noah’s flood right here in chapter 6. The great change, what creates the great downward spiral of humanity on the earth is that the two lines come together as one. That is, the godly line of Seth, the sons of God, seeing how attractive are the daughters of men, the wicked line of Cain, decide to take them as wives. The end result, however, isn’t mere dilution. It’s not that the now joined line becomes morally lukewarm, but that evil spreads, grows, deepens. This shouldn’t surprise as for as Chuck Swindoll reminds us, if you drop a white glove in the mud, the mud doesn’t get all glovey.

https://tabletalkmagazine.com/article/2013/04/sons-god/

The angels view also assumes that angels can have sexual relations with female humans. Bruce Waltke points out, however, “This interpretation…contradicts Jesus’ statement that angels do not marry (Matt. 22:30; Mark 12:25). It is one thing for angels to eat and drink (see Gen. 19:1–3), but quite another to marry and reproduce.”2 Some interpreters respond that Jesus was referring only to the marriage contract and not to the marriage bed, but this makes Jesus’ statement nonsensical in its own context. Jesus was responding to the question about having a marital relation resulting in children, and He clearly denied that heavenly angels can have sexual relations.

4 Likes

Greatly appreciated, I will review today.

Always in His love 1st, Servant 1st, Mark Lopez

2 Likes