Where did the feeding of the five thousand happen?

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #1

Because of @Jessica_Coaker’s question in the link above, I noticed in the Bible that in John 6:1, it said, “After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias.” And in v.17, from there they will go to Capernaum. In Luke 9:10, it said, “On their return the apostles told him all they had done. And he took them and withdrew apart to a town called Bethsaida.”

If you look at this map, Tiberias and Bethsaida are different locations. The former seems further in the map, and the latter is nearer. So how do we reconcile the seeming discrepancy in light of the inerrancy of scripture? Did the feeding of the five thousand happened in Bethsaida or in Tiberias?

4 Likes
(Jessica Coaker) #2

Very much looking forward to seeing what you hear back on this. Thanks for reading my question!

3 Likes
(SeanO) #3

@omnarchy There is no discrepancy. The Sea of Galilee is also called ‘The Sea of Tiberias’, but the miracle took place in Bethsaida. John 6:1 does not say they were in Tiberias, it simply provides another name for the Sea of Galilee that people might be more familiar with after the construction of Tiberias by Herod.

This is a parenthetical note by the author. Only John in the New Testament refers to the Sea of Galilee by the name Sea of Tiberias (see also [John 21:1](javascript:{})), but this is correct local usage. In the mid-20’s Herod completed the building of the town of Tiberias on the southwestern shore of the lake; after this time the name came into use for the lake itself.

3 Likes
(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

I appreciate your succinct response @SeanO. This indeed removes the seeming discrepancy and reconciles both passages. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(SeanO) #5

@omnarchy Indeed - good question. Never would have realized the Sea of Galilee had a name change otherwise :slight_smile:

2 Likes