Where Did the sons of Adam get their wives

In Genesis, I saw that the sons of Adam went to find wives. It is one of the questions that I have on my mind. Does this mean. That they married their sisters? Or did God create other people in another way? I have had these questions for a while. Please help! :grin:

3 Likes

Hey @John_Hunter_II, great question. Yes and no. Here is a good post that will shed more light. But in short, no God did not create other people in another way.

I hope this helps.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Thank you!!

I might have to take some time to digest those answers, but it helped put me on another path!!

Thanks again, so Much!!
John

2 Likes

Anytime brother. Yes there a lot of content there. Take your time.

The sons of Adam got their wives from Eve. Genesis 3:20 says that she was the mother of all living. Genesis 5:4 says that besides Cain, Abel and Seth, Adam begat other sons and daughters.

I think it would have been understood from the start that Adam and Eve’s first generation was going to have to marry their siblings.

Even centuries later, Abraham married his half sister Sarah.

The prohibition against sibling inbreeding did not come about until Moses some 500 years after Abraham - presumably to reduce the effects of genetic decay that had crept into the human genome through the millennia.

I hope this helps with what you were looking for.

5 Likes

Thanks for your response!! I guess living back in those days was different than now a days…

Blessings
John

2 Likes

You can sure say that again!

2 Likes

The question of who Adam and Eve’s children married is actually very critical to our faith – it depends on the idea that Adam and Eve’s children did actually marry among themselves.

First, the incest issue. Incest comes from Moses’ law without which there’s no incest. Therefore, Adam and Eve’s children marrying their siblings or other relatives cannot be called incest. Two other examples, far removed from Adam and Eve, are that of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel (compare to Leviticus 18:18) and that of Judah and Tamar (compare to Leviticus 18:15) – both of which are explicitly forbidden.

The story of our redemption depends on who Adam’s children married. If they married a “different” set of humans who are not descendants of Adam, the concept of original sin fails to hold. If original sin through Adam does not apply, or cannot be applied, to ALL human beings, then our redemption through Adam’s descendant, Jesus, does not hold since we will never know which “original sin” was His sacrifice redeeming us from. One would have to assume that the other human race also sinned – since they find themselves in the same harsh world as, say, Cane. Should Jesus have come twice as a human being, one from each “Adam”? How about Noah? Is he a descendant of both Adam and the other human being?

What about the Nephilims? The ones that were born out of relationships between Adam’s daughters and the sons of God – these we know were wiped out in the flood. Clearly, the subject needs lot more discussion, but it is important for us to know that we are descended from Adam and he was the only first man that God created – and that his children married among themselves.

2 Likes

Thank you very much sir! I guess that the translations in English make things seem ambiguous to a degree, but your application of the biblical principle logic is appropriate.

It’s possible that I need to study Hebrew at one point in my life. Language and cultures are so distinctively different.

But good point!

John

@John_Hunter_II An interesting question that sent me back to Genesis to try to formulate an answer. I’m not coming from a scientific viewpoint, so my answer is my opinion. I will establish a lot of background to establish my opinion, based on Scripture.
One point to understand is that “day” in the Hebrew language had four different meanings. Genesis 1:14-19 describes the making and beginning of seasons and years and days, as in 24 hours. But the fourth “day” and afterwards easily could have consisted of thousands or more 24 hour days, unlike the other “days” prior. So, time before Genesis 5 is really not known.

First of all, we know that Adam and Eve were instructed to “multiply” and “fill” the earth.(Gen.1:28). But the birds, sea creatures, and land animals were given that same instruction. So, I think it is safe to assume that Adam and Eve were as prolific as the rest of creation.
Secondly, we do not have any written record of how long Adam and Eve lived in Eden before the fall, so they could have easily filled the earth (not just the Garden) long before they left Eden. We know that Eve gave birth free of pain for two reasons: one is that sin and suffering had not entered the world yet; and second, part of God’s punishment to Eve was pain in childbearing.
It is often said and assumed that Cain was the firstborn of Adam and Eve. I don’t agree with that assumption because, although Eve said she had birthed a man (Gen 4:1), she also included that it was with God’s help. The question can be asked if she needed God’s help when she gave birth to the others, or was this the first child after her punishment? Since Genesis 4 begins after Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden, it can easily be assumed Cain came after that event also.
Also, it is important to recognize that no animal had been killed before God made an animal covering (I’m guessing it was a lamb) and blood was shed. If you remember, Cain’s offering was not accepted by God because it was not an animal (or shed blood) sacrifice. Cain became jealous, committed murder, and lied to God as a result. This could not have happened before Adam and Eve were sent from Eden. Then, Cain feared being found and killed by others because of the mark God had placed on him.(Gen.4:14) How could there have been others? Only if Adam and Eve had others who had populated the earth.
Although Gen. 5 states that Adam lived a total of 930 years, it is also the beginning of the genealogy from Adam to Noah. Time was not being recorded until that point in Scripture. Keep in mind that the Bible is a history of the nation of Israel and the plan of redemption. Jesus’ human lineage is traced both in Matthew and Luke all the way back to Adam, through Seth, Abel’s replacement. But, we do not know how long Adam and Eve were alive prior to that.
One other consideration that I won’t go into detail about is that Adam was most likely created around the third “day”, not the 6th. Genesis 2 states that God needed someone to care for the plants of the field prior to His creating those plants. So, He created a “man”. It is not until the sixth “day” that Eve comes on the scene and "mankind’ (male and female) were established. Adam had been taken from the dust. But Eve was taken from Adam’s rib after he had been put into a deep sleep. So, Adam existed long before Eve and was “re-created” with Eve on the 6th “day”. Populating the earth began after that time.

Now, to your question of who the sons of Adam married. I believe it can be answered that they married their sisters and extended family. Today that practice is highly frowned upon and considered a crime in many places.
However, if you read the story of Abram in Gen.12:20, we find out that Abram was married to his half-sister. She was the daughter of his father, but not his mother. So incest and polygamy were common in the culture of the day. It wasn’t until Leviticus18, and later Exodus 20, that God defined proper marital relationships for the Hebrew people, and later the Gentiles adopted them.
So, while incest and polygamy were most likely the source of the wives of Adam’s sons, it was not considered to be forbidden or frowned upon as it is today.

1 Like