Where do you stand on God's sovereignty and man's free will?

I have another question to ask you and I’d really appreciate your thoughts on the issue.

Now, I do not know where you stand on the issue of God’s sovereignty and man’s free will (whether you are a Calvinist or subject to Arminianism; I myself am an agnostic on the topic) but I I wanted to put a twist on the standard question one gets when this is brought up. If the T in the Calvinist TULIP suggests that we are all so totally depraved that we can’t come to God on our own, what part does Satan play? Doesn’t our sinful nature then mean that the devil really doesn’t need to do anything? I understand he played a major part in the Fall in Genesis, and so I guess that means he does do something to us, even if we are unaware. What I’m asking, though, is how to understand what the devil actually does in our daily lives when we are apparently so depraved by ourselves already that the devil is out of a job, sort of speak. Satan pushed the first domino at the Fall, then sat back and enjoyed watching us fall down the stairs from then on.

I have no clue if what I’m asking is too trivial or not (because the devil still does things today as Peter writes in 1 Peter 5:8). I have read C.S. Lewis’ Screwtape Letters, which was fantastic and I certainly related to.

3 Likes

Good question. I’m currently reading Job to my kids, so I’m right in the thick of a bunch of these questions! Both Calvinist and Armenians see Satan as continuously active and continuing to “kill, steal, and destroy,” so I believe that both would say that there is destruction that happens in our lives that is beyond what humans generate. The devil is God’s devil, so he isn’t totally out of control, but then that leaves questions about God’s nature open to question, which then brings us back to your topic of how to see God’s sovereignty and creaturely (Satan is a creature) freedom at work in the world. If you haven’t yet, I would suggest a look at this book: https://www.amazon.com/Calvinism-Against-Enhanced-ebook/dp/B008ALUUHY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=against+calvinism&qid=1551977240&s=books&sr=1-2 It is a respectful dialogue that helps highlight some of the key differences that your question is pointing to. Personally, I have a compatibilist view of Divine sovereignty and creaturely freedom. Scripture doesn’t give us all the answers, but it does show us some of the limits (pun intended) of where we can go in our view of God. Satan’s work is about far more than preventing human salvation; that’s just a subset of his overall rebellion.

2 Likes