Where is God in the Suffering, Injustice, Anxiety, & Uncertainty?

“We’re living through uncertainty, anxiety, loss, struggle, suffering, injustice of myriad types; so many in chains, so many destitute, so many heartsick on the inside, despite the appearance of all being well externally. Where is God?” This question resounds throughout the ages, and specially relevant for today. On Take Five today, Tanya Walker asks the profound question, “what might it take to see God and recognize his fingerprints throughout the world?”

“Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to your name be the glory…” Glory, sufficiency, centrality, power, wisdom; this is a declaration against our anthropocentrism, a pull away from us in the center, us in the driving seat, us as the judges of all that happens on this earth…It’s a call to see God as God, and to see ourselves for the created beings that we are.

“Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to your name be the glory because of your love and faithfulness.” This is the linchpin; the power of God, the glory of God is not cold, not unfeeling, not crushing. It is a solid rock in the midst of the storm on which we can stand and be steadied, held secure.

“We may be in the dark about what God is doing, but we are not in the dark about God.”

Make it Personal

• Do you find solace in God’s character in the midst of difficult and trying times?

• For someone who doesn’t believe in God and is facing various trials, how might we compassionately share our confidence in God’s character?

2 Likes

The above title brings to memory a book I’ve read years back, Where Is God When It Hurts by Philip Yancey. And, if I am not mistaken, it was from that book that I got one of the best response about God’s whereabouts when we hurt: He went through the very pain we are complaining about. And it’s a profound thought to think about how Someone Who should have been immune or insulated from pain chose to experience and bear pain just so He could be the perfect representative and substitute for us whom He intend to redeem and justify. It always bring me to tears realizing the depths of His love and how great was His sacrifice.
Oh, what a Great Savior, indeed!

1 Like