Where is Jesus in the Old Testament in the Paleo Hebrew Language?

(Laura Salata) #1

Hello,
We are trying to find old testament scripture that points to Jesus as the messiah that is in the Paleo Hebrew language. A few verses we were given are:

Isaiah 48:12, 48:16.
Psalm 2:6.
Ezekiel 36:26.
Isaiah 62:11.
Habakkuk 13:13.

My husband, who is a Christian, has been hearing from these three people that in the Paleo Hebrew there is no coming Messiah, that David was the anointed one, that God has already forgiven so there is no hell and no need for a redeemer. Every time he looks into the Paleo Hebrew to verify something they say it is only confirmed. These people say that only the Paleo Hebrew is correct because in revisions of Hebrew there are errors made by the scribes. It has shaken his faith and is destroying our marriage.

Can anyone provide any verses that are verifiable in a Paleo Hebrew?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Laura

(SeanO) #2

@we3salatas Thank you for that question. I am sorry to hear about the struggle you are going through. I have provided a link to a video by Michael Brown debunking the use of Paleo-Hebrew to reinterpret the Bible. But first let’s consider what Paleo-Hebrew is - it is just an alphabet.

Paleo-Hebrew is an alphabet for the Hebrew language based on the Phoenician alphabet. The alphabet for the Hebrew we are familiar with developed from the Aramaic alphabet. What you need to understand is that Hebrew language itself did not change - there is no hidden meaning revealed by Paleo-Hebrew, just like changing fonts in your Word processor does not change the meaning of the words themselves.

Consider the number 4 in Chinese - there are 2 ways to write it:

The Chinese character 四 and the number 4. But the Chinese character does not hold any hidden meaning - it is just another way of representing the number 4.

Paleo Hebrew is the same way - it is just an alphabet - another way of representing Hebrew - there is no hidden meaning. So why do the people speaking with your husband always seem to be correct? If I am understanding their approach correctly, it is because they are making it up.

Let’s return to the Chinese character for 4. Well (this is just for example - I am uncertain of the character’s origins), let’s say that originally it developed from a pictogram for a noodle house (for whatever reason). So, now I find a modern Chinese book with the chracter 四 and decide that instead of interpreting it as ‘4’, I will interpret it as ‘noodle house’. Do you see how incorrect this approach is? While the character may have been based on a pictogram, it’s meaning is not tied to the pictogram - it is just part of the alphabet.

Based on what I read, there is some debate about which alphabet came first, though I am not a Hebrew scholar. Jesus clearly believed the Hebrew Scriptures in His possession to be accurate enough to quote from in the Synagogue and so did the disciples, so I would think that for a Christian that should be weighty evidence of their veracity.

As far as changes to the actual text of Scripture, what evidence do these men offer? I really enjoyed F. F. Bruce’s book on how we can know the Bible we have is reliable and highly recommend it for your husband. It includes portions on both Old and New Testaments.

I hope these thoughts are helpful and may the Lord grant your husband wisdom to discern truth from error. Christ be with you. Feel free to ask further questions.

(Jamie Hobbs) #3

This sounds similar to the concept held by Islam that the only way you can understand the Quran is in Arabic. Everything else is translated, and therefore necessarily biased and flawed. Other belief systems hold to similar rules (i.e. you can only call God “Jehovah” and nothing else will do). God transcends human language. He proved that at Babel and at Pentecost. Jesus doesn’t have one name alone, but hundreds in thousands of tongues. Otherwise every English Christian needs to stop saying Jesus and start saying “Yeshua” (obviously transliterated here). Jesus exists throughout the OT, regardless of the alphabet used to spell His name.