Where is our conscience located?

Hello,

In Romans 2:14-15, it is mentioned that God’s law is written in our hearts, and our conscience bears witness.
“For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them”
(Romans 2:14-15)

As we know that human is made by God, with a body, soul and spirit, can anyone tell me where exactly is our conscience located? Is it considered as part of our soul, which consists of our mind, emotion and will? But this may not make sense, as I would like to consider our conscience as our moral compass, which should be separated from our mind, emotion, and will! I am confused.

Thank you.

Henry

1 Like

@henry_auw My understanding of the word conscience is that it does not refer to a thing, like a brain. Rather, it refers to our ability to discern right from wrong. In the Bible, the conscience must be trained through constant use and evil men can sear their conscience, calling good evil and evil good. In the OT, I would say the word “heart” is used like we use the word conscience in some contexts - the place from which our actions flow.

It is also interesting to note that the conscience alone is insufficient to discern the things of God. It is God’s Spirit through the Word of Christ that illumines the soul to the mystery of the Gospel. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.

1 Tim 4:2 - Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Hebrews 5:14 - But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

1 Cor 2:14 - The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

2 Likes

Thank you Sean!

1 Like