Which book of the bible should I start reading?

Hi! I have been reading deep into God’s word, starting from Genesis. I’m currently enjoying the chapter of Joshua, but then I started thinking about revelations and what is yet to come. I am so eager to get to the end because, other than it probably being the most thrilling chapter in Bible, I want to know what to expect if Jesus comes before I die. It would benefit to read it, regardless, because it explains about things that will happen even after death. But it just dawned on me today that Jesus could come any minute now! It’s so exciting to know this, but I want to know exactly what to expect on this day and even what to watch for on the days preceding it. However, I get sidetracked very easily. That is why I have been reading the Bible starting from Genesis because it has made things easy for me to understand. I’m afraid that if I read Revelation now I would somehow come across possible references in it that would confuse me, since I haven’t read the entire Bible before it yet. What should I do? Be patient and keep reading it at my own pace (don’t get me wrong, I am loving the Bible), or is it worth it to read Revelation now?

6 Likes

@OJMCKEE Praise the Lord that you long for His appearing and are diving into the Word! My advice would be to read through the entire Bible book by book because Revelation contains many, many references and allusions to the OT. You might even consider using Gordon Fee’s book “How to Read the Bible Book by Book”.

And while the simple message of Revelation is easy to understand - God wins! The details are notoriously difficult to interpret / understand. G. K. Chesterton once remarked, “Though St. John the Evangelist saw many strange monsters in his vision, he saw no creatures so wild as one of his own commentators” (Orthodoxy). I recommend reading a few commentaries on Revelation to get different views rather than simply reading it on your own. I’ve recommended a few books below.

Christ bless your study of His Word and may it produce much fruit in your heart / life and the world around you!

Scholars estimate that as many as 278 out of 404 verses in Revelation contain references to the OT and that over five hundred allusions to OT texts are made in total (compared with less than two hundred in all of Paul’s letters). Revelation: A Shorter Commentary, G. K. Beale

Books

6 Likes

Thank you so much! This was so helpful! I will definitely look into these! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@OJMCKEE Great! May the Lord Jesus bless your studies.

1 Like

Thank you for asking Olivia, I’m having a similar problem. I’d like to read the entire bible in one year. But I dont want to have to wait until the fall to get to the Gospels. I’ve read each of them a few times and found them to be not only a great comfort but incredibly compelling. I haven’t even really read any of the epistles and I’m very eager to, but skipping ahead in my bible plan feels like cheating. I dont want to get to 2 samuel and run out of steam. That happened last year. How do I keep from experiencing old testament burn out, as it were?

3 Likes

@Neil_Hass That’s a great point. I guess there is a distinction to be made between devotional reading and study. From the perspective of study, reading through the Bible is more beneficial. But from a devotional perspective, I find the epistles and Gospels to be much richer for memorization and meditation.

Some Bible reading plans, like this one, have you read the NT and OT in parallel - maybe burnout is part of the motivation there?

3 Likes

Whatever it is that’s kept you excited and interested this far…
Just keep doing it.

1 Like

Hi Olivia,

The Book of John is great book to start with. If you are interested in specifically End Times material, Honestly End times Prophecy is all throughout the Bible. Revelation is an amazing Book, but if can be a bit of a challenge to follow and to understand. I don’t see any problem in reading Revelation, but as you do be mindful that you may need to dig deeper in some areas to get a better understanding of it.

Another book the Discusses End Time Prophesies and events is The Book of Daniel.

It’s cool that you are so excited to read the Bible. Keep it up!

God Bless!

1 Like