Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Nathan, those of us at RZIM are fortunate to know a bit more about you that your bio fails to include. My question, only partially tongue-in-cheek, is this:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I’ve read some evolutionist and creationist thoughts on this question, but I look forward to reading the answer you hatch. And perhaps questions like this are totally irrelevant, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this aspect too. Thank you in advance for your time!

3 Likes

Hi Lou, I’m going to resist the urge to pack my response full of puns (which really do crack me up… man…). Anyway as you’ve likely seen in some of the discussions on this topic the definition of the egg really matters. Are we talking about an egg laid by a chicken or an egg with a chicken in it? For those not familiar with the argument with three minutes of time to kill, check out: https://ed.ted.com/featured/jOuJyFNt. The conclusion that the egg came first is based on the assumption (which is necessary from a naturalistic perspective) that new genetic information could only come from a pre-existing organism (proto-chicken). Since I am not operating from a totally naturalistic framework- believe that spirit precedes matter, and that we don’t live in a closed system as far as the introduction of new information and material into reality- I’m going with the chicken! Let there be birds and bees.

3 Likes