Which was Jesus’ first miracle?

Hello,

I have a question regarding the chronology of Jesus’ first miracle. John chapter 2 says that Jesus turning the water into wine was the first miracle he performed.

However, in Luke 5:4, Jesus has Peter cast his net into the water and the net is filled with fish.

Since the disciples were at the wedding in Cana, doesn’t that mean Jesus had already performed miracles?

1 Like

@Ajax93 Great question :slight_smile: John included seven miracles that he called signs. Seven represented perfection and John chose these seven miracles as signs so that we can believe in Jesus as Lord and God. John does not mean that this miracle of turning water to wine is chronologically the first miracle that Jesus ever did — rather, John is saying that this is the first sign that he has chosen to point to Jesus’ deity.

Below is a video by Ben Witherington on the purpose of the seven sign miracles in John.

John 20:30-31 - Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 21:24-25 - This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true. 25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

2 Likes

The chronological alternative would be: John chapter 1 just ended with Jesus already gathering Peter and Andrew, John, Philip and Nathanael. Two days later (John 2:1) he brings them to the wedding and performs the miracle. After that (John 2:12), He goes with them to Capernaum on the Sea of Galilee (also called the Lake of Gennesaret, Luke 5:1) where he performs the miracle you’ve asked about.

2 Likes

I think John meant to say Jesus’s first miracle in public. Because when Jesus asked Peter to cast the net and it overflowed with fish, it was a miracle witnessed only by the disciples, that too not all of them. And it was meant for their benefit. But when He turned water into wine, He did it in public, which was a first for Him. And if I have to take a wild guess (not biblically recorded, of course. This is just a logical deduction), Jesus probably performed miracles around the house. If not, how would Mary know to talk to Him when they ran out of wine? So I think this is more of an issue of private and public than chronological problem. Hope it helps.

Regards

1 Like