Who is God?

(Tsilise) #1

Is it possible to be able to understand nature of God? And how would we begin that journey?

(SeanO) #2

@Tsilise Great question! May I ask what prompted your question? Below I give the most basic answer. May the Lord Jesus grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him.

On the surface this question seems nearly impossible to answer, but what makes Christianity unique is that God has actually come to earth and lived among us. We have an insider’s view into the heart and mind of God in Jesus!

One way to begin the journey of knowing God is to do 3 things:

1. Invite Jesus into your heart and pray that He would give you wisdom / understanding to know Him more
  2. Get plugged into a healthy Church where the Word of God is preached and join a small group / Bible study to be in fellowship with believers
  3. Study God’s Word - the Bible - and pray each day that God would help you understand Him through His Word. You could start in the Book of John. The Bible is God’s self-revelation to us and a testimony to the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus.

I highly recommend J. I. Packer’s book ‘Knowing God’ - it is a great introduction to God’s attributes and qualities that is rooted in Scripture. I’ve also linked a Connect thread on how to study the Bible. The Bible Project is a great way to get to know God’s Word.

(Tsilise) #3

Thanks a lot, SeanO.
This question primarily steam from my own sketchy understand of Bible.
And even though am a Christain I naturally became Chrstain by mere heritage since all my parents and siblings were and are Christains. I was never exposed to a community where i could be taught more about Bible and Christainity from childhood.

(SeanO) #4

@Tsilise Sure thing! I think that is a journey we all go on. I didn’t really have a good grasp of the big picture of the Bible until I was in college really. In Church they never focused on the whole narrative. I think the Bible Project is a great resource for getting that big picture view and I am very thankful for it. May Christ guide you as you continue to learn / grow.

(Tsilise) #5

Am very grateful for all these sincere hearings. God bless