“All of these sins,
But he washed them away,
That’s why I enter his courts,
with thanksgiving and praise,
The God of this world,
Because he made a way,
Glory and honour to the Ancient Of Days”

(“For The Kingdom”, Marcus Rogers),

I am a bit confused. The following two passages along with many others suggest that Yeshua/Yah, God Almighty is the God of the earth. And these verses support the lyrics of the song

Ps 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth:
  Sing ye praises with understanding.

Is 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband;
  The LORD of hosts is his name;
  And thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;
  The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

However, other verses indicate that Satan is god of the earth

2 Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Further in John, Jesus repeatedly calls Satan the “prince of the world”

So while God is the creator of heaven earth and upholds it with his power (Heb 1:3), is He at the moment ruling this earth or is Satan? I think the latter, but I don’t know for certain.
Admittedly, when I first heard this song I became shocked when the god of the world was mentioned in that context. Should I even be worried about these lyrics?

Who is the god or ruler of this world? Perhaps there should be a distinction between ruler and god?

I would greatly appreciate some help!

1 Like

Hi Hayden McLachlan @hluke. This is a great question. It is important to understand who the god of this world or the prince of this world exactly is.

In 2 Corinthians 4:4, we see that those whose minds are blinded are the ones who do not believe. They believe not because their minds continue in darkness, and are proper subjects for Satan to work on. Satan deepens the darkness, and increases the hardness of their hearts. In John 16:11, Satan is called the prince of this world. This means though God the Creator of the universe and everything in it is the supreme Being over all creation, in his judgment he may gave over the minds of the unbelieving to spiritual darkness, so that destruction will came upon them. We find it hard to attribute the blinding of men’s minds to God. But our God is the God of justice, and may in judgment (John 12:31) remove his mercies from the ungodly.

Satan has said that the kingdoms of the world and their glory are his, and that he gives them to whomsoever he will (Matthew 4:8-9). But has God ever said so? No. We certainly cannot believe the assertion of the boasting devil and father of lies. We believe in Jesus Christ the ultimate truth.

1 Like

Good question, @hluke!

The word used for world in II Corinthians 4:4 is the Greek “aeon”, meaning this age. The devil is in control of mankind during this age.

The word used in John when it talks about him being the prince of this world is “kosmos”, and it’s referring to the world’s mentality that this life, this world, is all there is - no God, no afterlife, no judgment. It’s a total focus on the here and now with no regard for hereafter - it’s the worldly wisdom that Solomon describes as seeing life under the sun, and he concluded that the world’s approach to life is all vanity.

So these uses of the word “world” are not really talking about the world He created or the souls He placed upon it.

I hope this will help you unravel the different nuances of how the Bible uses the word “world”.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding @SelieVisa. So in this sense 2 Co 4:4 is essentially a direct reference to God blinding the eyes of unbelievers? I think there is some credit in that claim. For example Is 6:9-10 could be a prophecy about spiritual blindness, of which I think Matthew quotes in reference to the Pharisees

Hear ye indeed, but understand not;
  And see ye indeed, but perceive not.
  Make the heart of this people fat,
  And make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes;
  Lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears,
  And understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed...

However, if that were applicable to 2 Cor 4:4, I would think “god” would be in a definite name format. “God” not “god”, the latter is for the false gods like Beezlebub

1 Like

Hello James, thanks for responding.
So looking at the Greek, we could say, …the god of this life or age… And that would parallel his role as the “prince of the power of the air”, or “principality and rulers”: Satan is the ruler of worldly things, but maybe not the world itself. I will touch on this more below.

When you mention Paul is “not really” talking about created things, that implies that Satan can actually be named the god of this world in a literal way. Is this true? The Greek word (θεός/Theós) (god) is no doubt referring to a god.
But it might not be referring to a literal god, because if Christ is the only True God, then other gods are lifeless and false.

So, is Satan the god of this world in the sense that he rules the atmosphere? Or is he the god of this world in the sense that he has temporary authority until the judgement in Revelation?
I hope I’m not too confusing

Otherwise, that makes a lot more sense.

I would go with your last statement about having temporary authority - and even that is limited…by God Himself.

In the Garden, God gave dominion over this world to Adam and his race. We humans were meant to be the lords of the earth.

But when mankind fell to Satan’s wiles, we forfeited our dominion to him - by obeying his voice (Romans 6:16). Now he is the prince of the power of the air and the god of this world.

So rather than man using his dominion over this world to do good, Satan misuses it to harm us. He uses storms and winds and plagues as we see in Job 1-2. But even this is limited to what God allows.

One of the reasons Jesus joined the human race was to win back for mankind the authority over creation that was ordained to us at the start (Hebrews 2:5-9) - and that will be restored in the end. After 40 days in the wilderness, Jesus emerged victorious against all temptations, and He exercised power over winds and waves, fish and figs, demons and diseases. And He shared this “kingdom authority” with His disciples (Matthew 10:5-8).

But the kingdom was rejected. And now we must wait until Israel shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord (Matthew 23:39) for the restoration to come.

And in the meantime, Satan continues to misuse an authority over this world that is not rightfully his - that he stole from our parents in the beginning - but that God allows him to continue using to try the sons of men.

But only to the degree God permits and until the time God ordains.

I hope this will help you.

3 Likes

Thanks again for responding!

I’m still a bit concerned about the lyrics. I think it is a matter of having the right heart when listening to music with very small miswording, and using discernment to tell if the lyrics are too unbiblical.
So in general, God is the creator and owner of the world, but He doesn’t rule it completely, He can if He wants and He will take what is His soon.

I think if the lyrics said, “The ruler of this world”, that would then become a bigger issue.

I do appreciate your responses. Big help!

1 Like