Who sinned first?

The bible says all sin came from man, yet eve took the first bite. So is that so because Eve was created from Adam therefor all sin came from man or is it that Eve didn’t receive the forbidden knowledge until Adam took a bite?

2 Likes

Good question. According to Genesis 3:6 Eve did and then gave to Adam.

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

In relation to your question;
I don’t think it’s your first option; yes Eve was made from Adams rib, but that was the creation event.

At the fall, Eve was an individual moral being making a choice; and responsible for that individual decision before God. Adam also as an individual moral being also made that choice.

The Genesis account doesn’t say anything about Eve receiving the knowledge of good and evil first or separately from Adam; the point of the account is rather that Adam and Eve chose to believe the lie and didn’t trust God. “Did God really say that?” wasn’t a direct attack on God by Satan but rather an attempt to rationalize and get into half truths. Sounds like what we do today as people.

In 1 Timothy 2:14 it says Eve sinned first, and was deceived. I’ve heard it said that Eve was deceived, but Adam deliberately sinned against God.

And other well thought out article suggests that Adam may have been in earshot of the serpent speaking to Eve and did nothing and was just passive; this also failing his duty as head.

1. Like Adam, they [Israel] have broken the covenant— they were unfaithful to me there . (Hosea 6:7)
  2. Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man….death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam …. (Rom 5:12, 14)
  3. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive . (1 Cor 15:22)

And then the amazing news of Jesus, who is described as the second Adam

Of course, technically Satan sinned first and was cast out of heaven and then tempted Eve.

What extra thoughts do you have on this subject?

… just a few thoughts, I’m also looking forward to more discussion by others.

2 Likes

Hi, thank you. My dilemma is this Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned–
And this 1 Corinthians 15:21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.

Thank you much

1 Like

Adam was presumably in the same place that Eve was when Eve first ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Further, God told Adam not to eat, not Eve not to eat. It was Adam’s responsibility.

Credit: John Piper

3 Likes

Hi, my youth pastor often reminds the guys in my group that Adam was with eve and he did not speak up, so when the blame gets put on Eve the blame can actually go to Adam who didn’t speak up first. It reminds me of “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”
‭‭James‬ ‭4:17‬ ‭

3 Likes

“He hit me first” “Yes but she stuck her tongue out at me”- What difference does it make who sinned first? The point is Adam and Eve were flesh of flesh and bone of bone - that is to say that what affects one affects the other and when one of us today sines, we all share in that sin. Thus the commandant to Love one another (the only way to combat sin is through LOVE). The greater question may be why did God put the tree in the garden in the first place knowing they would be tempted and eat of it? Could it be that God wanted to teach us that sin divides us and Love joins us together in the battle against Satan? Obviously Satan was on earth (in the garden) before man sinned and man would have to deal with evil on earth sooner or later.- Indeed, we each and as a whole (flesh of each other’s flesh) must deal with the evil of this world and we must learn to deal with it as one flesh. 1 John 2:15 drives home the sin of man and what the sin of Adam and Eve was exactly- loving the fruit of this world rather than Trusting our True and only Father.To borrow and rewrite a famous quote, “Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do for God.” And God says to Love (do for) each other! Love is not a “passive” activity.

It depends if there is an order to things or not.

Hi, you made a valid point, when you said Adam was given the command not to eat of the tree, and not Eve. But it would seem to me Adam had have instructed Eve of the consequenses for disobeying Gods command.

The difference is I wanted to know if Adam was blinded out of his love for Eve. I wanted to know if she sinned first chance she got and then coaxed and manipulated Adam into sinning as well and he was weak from love. Apparently that’s not the case.

1 Like

I’d imagine if in the whole world it was only you and the woman you love it might be difficult not to eat the fruit when the only other person on earth and the one you love dearly whom was created from your rib ate something forbidden yet enjoyed it very much. I don’t think it’s silly to think we’ve all done things a bit unorthodox at times out of love, a bit mesmerized, a bit naive, a bit believing she can do no wrong because you love her so.

1 Like

Who hasn’t been a total pushover out of true love at one time or another.

1 Like

Is this correct, I’m trying to verify myself now. When Eve is tempted by the serpent and eats the forbidden fruit, Father makes Adam choose between Him and Eden, or Eve . Adam chooses Eve and eats the fruit, causing Father to banish them into the wilderness and destroying the Tree of Knowledge, from which Adam carves a staff.

1 Like

Sheesh, from the bible 8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[d] and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[e] 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

The Fall

3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,

“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[i] and hers;
he will crush[j] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

20 Adam[k] named his wife Eve,[l] because she would become the mother of all the living.

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[[m]of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

1 Like

So Eve knew and this just shows how insane evil is, there was a tree of eternal life and a tree of death and she got duked into eating from the tree of freaking death, unreal.

1 Like

In addition I asked whom sinned first because there’s a couple bible verses that state “sin entered the world through one man” So I wanted clarification, details are extremely important. I wanted to know if “one man” meant the broader sense of wo man or if “one man” was used because she was part of him, created from his rib. I wanted to know why it doesn’t say “all sin entered the world through one woman” if she ate it first.
Why care one asked? I care deeply, every day we all face the punishment of this original sin and all die of the flesh because of it, I care deeply to know EXACTLY what went down.

1 Like

you make some good points and cause us to think.

Option 1. Adam loved Eve; and because Eve was tempted and sinned; Adam didn’t want to leave her to it? Maybe plausible. Like you said, who hasn’t done something for love. I tend to stick to the orthodox view; that in Gen 3:6 that they were both present and ate together.

perhaps you could separate then events as

• verse 5 (the temptation)
  • verse 6 being the sin (the action to disobey God).

perhaps you could posit that Eve was tempted in version 5 (alone); but they were together in verse 6 when they both sinned?

We know Biblically that experiencing temptation is not wrong; it’s the action taken to act on the temptation where it turns into sin.

Option 2:

No I don’t think so; Adam’s sin was not trusting what God had said; the same as Eve. I see no Biblical evidence that there is a series of separate events:

1. Eve sinned
  2. Adam knew she sinned before he did
  3. God made Adam choose between Himself (God) and Eve.
  4. then because Adam loved Eve more than God, he chose to sin.

in my opinion; this point three posits a vindictive God; this is not the character of God revealed in the Bible; the God who died on the cross and suffered at the hands of His own creation.

Secondly; why would God in verse 18 note that ‘It was not good for man to be alone’; and God created woman. Adam’s response in verse 23 is basically ‘WOW Amazing’; that’s my sanctified imagination - without being crude. :slight_smile:

why would God create such perfection, and then hold this over Adam like a blackmail. no, that doesn’t make sense at all.

on a side note; where did you get the information that Adam carved a staff from the Tree of Knowledge? never head of that before. :slight_smile:

The train of events after the actual sin was

• God came looking for them in the garden and they hid. God asks 'Where are you?"
    (have you ever thought about the fact that God, being omnipresent, knew exactly what was going on. And the other question is what did God sound like when he was walking in the cool of the day?)
  • Adam blamed God indirectly by blaming Eve; “this woman you have given me did it” He also said “she gave me some fruit and I ate it”. Adam is trying to play innocent and blame his wife instead of taking responsibility for his actions (err, guys, don’t we do this all the time nowadays?)
  • Eve blamed the serpent

indeed. You know I’ve often wondered in this question; What if Adam and Eve had not sinned; and their children or children’s children had sinned in one of the following generations. It didn’t happen so it’s just speculation and ‘what if’ thinking I guess.

Perhaps either are plausible suggestions; I’d tend to go with the viewpoint that Adam was the head of the household (was either complicit; or an idle bystander who should have taken action and did not); and was responsible for what happened under his watch.

it’s a great question and a very thought provoking discussion…

1 Like

I foolishly quickly cut and paste the top google result from my keyword search which contained that bit about carving a staff from the tree of knowledge. I’ve never heard that either and then immediately after went straight to the bible telling myself “can’t trust anything but the bible” lol. Regarding the “woman” that’s how I look at it too, haha. I look it like wow man! lol. You know the more I read it the more I’m upset at their careless laissez-faire attitude, it didn’t seem to take a whole lot of convincing and Adam seemed to just sit there, watch and take a bite himself no questions asked. I guess when you’ve never been lied to before in your life one would be that naive.
I really enjoy your answers and will read this several times and will respond some more in the coming days. I’d love it if you could respond to another question of mine that is distracting my brain constantly and the title to that question is “Prayer request & demonic possession” I’d be so very thankful if you could.

1 Like

I’ll have a look tomorrow, but I don’t want to comment inappropriately on things I haven’t had any experience in.
God bless and take some time to pray about the situation. He is in control of things when it feels like things in our life are out of control.

1 Like