Why are John 7:53-8:11 and Mark 16:9-20 included in modern Bibles when the earliest manuscripts don't?

(Samuel Biswas) #1

In the Bible I see in the book of John 7:53 - 8:11and Mark 16: 9-20 (NIV) , it says, that the most earliest and reliable manuscripts and eyewitness accounts do not have the above mentioned srciptue passage. Then why is it included in the Bible and taught as well if the reliable sources itself don’t have it. Isnt that a false thing to do? And in case it’s reliable document then why does the print say that it isn’t and asserting a false statement. Could you please help?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

https://connect.rzim.org/t/john-7-53-8-11-to-use-or-not-to-use/814?u=jimmy_sellers

This is a good question and has come up before. This link takes a slightly different spin on the question but I do believe that it should point in the right direction.Here is a link that discusses the adulteress woman in John 7 and 8. I am sure that there will be additional input from the community. I hope this helps.

(Samuel Biswas) #3

Thanks for the link. However I tried it but denies access to me.

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Samuel:
That my bad Carson is in the process of trying to correct my mistake. Please forgive as it was unintended.:grimacing:

(SeanO) #5

@sam Below is a thread you should be able to access started by @CarsonWeitnauer. I think the short answer to your question is that those texts are included because there is genuine disagreement about whether or not they were in the original texts. The people who are putting the Bible together do not want to deny you access to the Word of God, if perhaps these stories were there originally. So I do not think they are trying to be dishonest - that is why the footnote is there… They want to give you the opportunity to study and prayerfully consider for yourself on an uncertain matter.

Is that thought helpful? The Lord Jesus grant you peace and wisdom as you study.

(Jimmy Sellers) #6

Let me try this again. A different link that will answering your question as you had ask.

If you follow the article to the end you will see a link to your question on Mark. As I said previously this is a good question and I hope this helps.

(Carson Weitnauer) #7

Hi @sam, you should have access to the discussion now. Sorry about that!

(Samuel Biswas) #8

Thank you.