Why are there so many denominations and even in each denominations different dispensations

(Sravan Kumar) #1

Praise the lord, i was bought up in india now living in canada. I was bought up as hindu orthodox bramhin which is like priesthood and when i got saved most of the brothers and sisters i met were non denominational and independent churches every body loves each other when i first came to canada all i see in so called christians are divided by denominations and dispensations and most of them hate each other and even one year back when i went to india its the same scenario over there why is it like this are we losing track of how god intends us to be with love and long suffering some where in process of becoming baptist or penthecostal or methodist or lutheran rather than christian?

(SeanO) #2

@Sravan_Kumar Thank you for that question. Below is my more in depth answer on another thread. I think first we should note a few things:

1. How many individual Christians have you met who hate Christians from other denominations? In my experience there are certainly differences of opinion, but I generally find that people do not hate each other. That would especially surprise me in Canada.

2. Denominations come about because people disagree on things that they consider to be very important to their walk of faith with Jesus. That is not necessarily a bad thing. It is okay to disagree.

The Lord grant you wisdom as you study. Feel free to ask further questions.

Levels of Doctrine

It may be helpful for you to think about levels of doctrine. Oftentimes different denominations agree on absolutes, but they disagree about convictions. And that is why they start new denominations.

1. absolutes define the core beliefs of the Christian faith;
  2. convictions , while not core beliefs, may have significant impact on the health and effectiveness of the church;
  3. opinions are less-clear issues that generally are not worth dividing over; and
  4. questions are currently unsettled issues.

Where an issue falls within these categories should be determined by weighing the cumulative force of at least seven considerations:

1. biblical clarity;
  2. relevance to the character of God;
  3. relevance to the essence of the gospel;
  4. biblical frequency and significance (how often in Scripture it is taught, and what weight Scripture places upon it);
  5. effect on other doctrines;
  6. consensus among Christians (past and present); and
  7. effect on personal and church life.